Michigan vs. Michigan State

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting this topic in the Chit Chat forum. Please don't make the mods move it to the debate forum!

So, I like both teams, having graduated from Ferris State (Go DOGS!). Normally I'm a Michigan fan, unless they are playing State. Then I root for the underdogs.

But there are a few people at work who are very nearly hardcore Michigan Fans. One in particular, who's son is now going to Michigan, I wanted to mess with a bit.

So I loaded up a Spartans flag into his screen saver. I also swapped his desktop image with a very cool Spartans image. (Making sure to place his application over top again so he won't see it until he closes the app and shows the desktop...)

To be honest, I'm a bit giddy. People round here take this sort of thing pretty seriously. Yes, even up here.

I wonder if I can modify the policies on his computer so that he doesn't have the option to change those settings... :D

Well, after being a Michigan fan for most of my life, even though I went to Wayne state I still spent a ton of time in Ann Arbor, and like you usually support both teams if they are playing separately and cheer for UofM if they are playing state..but this year I've been b!tch-slapped to true neutrality...my Niece/god daughter got a full boat to State.

My sis is now a rabid state supporter, and since she is my BIG sister (18 years older than me) she can really play the Jewish Mother Guilt Card effectively. My poor BIL is a HUUUUUGE Michigan fan, the kind that I always new I could get him anything maize and blue for Christmas and he'd be happy. So it is really rough for him.

I've been trying to find some "House Divided" clothing with half blue and half green, but I can't find stuff anywhere.

Since both teams seem to be playing really well this year, and with the whole family dynamic this year I was looking forward to watching the game with family...but my BIL stooopidly scheduled a "hunting" trip with his buddies this weekend so he's going to be gone. And My Nephew and his GF have this annual camping trip that someone else scheduled. He's hoping that the battery powered tv set he scrambled to borrow can get the game in where ever the heck they are camping at.

Having never been to Michigan and not sure if I even flew over it when I head out west, I really have no preference.

I guess I'll go Michigan since that's where Tom Brady went to school.

I graduated from Michigan State, but I grew up a Michigan fan. As most know, once you step on to campus in East Lansing, you learn to detest those Wolverines in Ann Arbor, but I'm civil about it lol. When it became time to choose where to go, I took a look at the culture and the people who went to each school and just seemed to fit in with the MSU crowd much better. Looking back, it was the best decision of my life.

With that being said...anyone going to any tailgates on Saturday? I'll be at one that my cousin goes to every year and they set up three huge tents, tons of food, and even a satellite TV. Their only request is that I bring my beer haha so I'll bring all three (check out my sig)

P.S. @ Homercidal - if you take a screen shot of your coworkers screen with the MSU background on it, paste the screen shot into paint, save it, right click on the desktop and hide all the icons, hide the (i forget the actual name of it) start bar, then make that screen shot the desktop background, he won't be able to click anything since it's part of the picture. I've done this a few times back in college as pranks on buddies, it tends to work pretty well. Even if they restart the computer, they usually can't figure it out until you lend a helping hand

Go Moo U!

I spent 9 yrs in E. Lansing (class of '85 and '92). Maybe, it is just because because we have more experience at it, but it seems to me that U of M fans don't seemed to handle losing as well. Also they don't seem as gracious as winners. It is one thing to be happy for your team's victory, it is a bit much though to put down the loser. I see that at a lot of schools though, and I think unfortunately it is a growing trend

I graduated from Michigan State, but I grew up a Michigan fan. As most know, once you step on to campus in East Lansing, you learn to detest those Wolverines in Ann Arbor, but I'm civil about it lol. When it became time to choose where to go, I took a look at the culture and the people who went to each school and just seemed to fit in with the MSU crowd much better. Looking back, it was the best decision of my life.

With that being said...anyone going to any tailgates on Saturday? I'll be at one that my cousin goes to every year and they set up three huge tents, tons of food, and even a satellite TV. Their only request is that I bring my beer haha so I'll bring all three (check out my sig)

P.S. @ Homercidal - if you take a screen shot of your coworkers screen with the MSU background on it, paste the screen shot into paint, save it, right click on the desktop and hide all the icons, hide the (i forget the actual name of it) start bar, then make that screen shot the desktop background, he won't be able to click anything since it's part of the picture. I've done this a few times back in college as pranks on buddies, it tends to work pretty well. Even if they restart the computer, they usually can't figure it out until you lend a helping hand

HA HA!! I love that old bit! I forgot all about it! I am pretty sure he found my attack by now. The best part is that he normally leaves about an hour before I do, so I'll have all kinds of time to load that screenshot up and also find a web page with the Michigan State fight song playing and make that his homepage.

Too bad there is no way I could force his computer to play the fight song through the network.. Or IS there?

HA HA!! I love that old bit! I forgot all about it! I am pretty sure he found my attack by now. The best part is that he normally leaves about an hour before I do, so I'll have all kinds of time to load that screenshot up and also find a web page with the Michigan State fight song playing and make that his homepage.

Too bad there is no way I could force his computer to play the fight song through the network.. Or IS there?

If they can do this, I'm sure there is a way...

It’s a win for the University of Michigan Wolverines, . . . if not for anyone else.

After election officials in Washington, D.C., egged on hackers to have a go at their new internet voting system, they did just that. The result was Michigan’s fight song “Hail to the Victors” played to voters after they cast their ballots.

Election officials were testing their new pilot voting system in advance of elections in November, but had to pull it down on Friday after the hackers seized it.

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/10/dc-voting-system-hacked/#ixzz11h3ITE7Y

I think my screen name should give away who I'll be cheering for on Saturday ;)

GO GREEN!

After beating Wisconsin last weekend, I even thought about flying back to MI for the game, but flights were just too much. So I'll just be watching it down here with a couple other fellow MSU grads. Can't wait for Saturday, it should be a great game!

I don't have a preference at all, but sometimes it's fun at my house during NCAA basketball. Bob had grad school at U of M, his brother is a MSU alum, and his sister did both undergrad and grad school at Central. One year, they were all in the Sweet 16 and we had a great time insulting each other.

There are some people who are nuts, though. One of the teachers at our local high school is a noted Wolverine fanatic. He even has a car (a PT cruiser) painted to look like a big Wolverine helmet. The kids really enjoyed wearing Spartan finery in his classes.

I'm kind of getting geared up for it now. Starting to think about what to make to eat, what to have to drink...

I have my BIL's 3 kids to watch while they are in Africa. I'm not sure what our schedule is, but I know my wife has planned a trip to the pumpkin patch. She was even more geeked about the game than I was this week, so I hope she took that into consideration when planning this pumpkin thing.

I'm looking forward to this game. I am interested to see what Michigan State can do about keeping Robinson in check. That's definitely the key to this game. If Michigan State can limit his big plays they should win. I'll be rooting for a good game mostly.

oh by the way...
GO BUCKS

As I spartan alumni there is no question which side of this fight I am on..GO GREEN!!! But honestly, I think it will be a great game no matter who wins!

This just in, Denard is still running, he won't be caught. GO BLUE.

God I love Rich Rod's offence. Now the defense, not so much.

Umm I'm not sure about that, but if I were you, I would change his default startup music to the MSU Fight Song and crank up the volume then shut it down, that way when he starts it up, it blares it

I would make this his background....
vy467l.jpg

I just found out i'm coming up for the game! My bro in law tailgates at the golf course across from the stadium. Were leaving first thing in the morning. Anyone can come out to the tailgate, it's Hickory BBQ, for a suggested donation it's all you can eat of some of the best cooking you'll ever have.

He will be the guy with the biggest bbq trailer you've ever seen:D

I'm looking forward to this game. I am interested to see what Michigan State can do about keeping Robinson in check. That's definitely the key to this game. If Michigan State can limit his big plays they should win. I'll be rooting for a good game mostly.

oh by the way...
GO BUCKS

Well, after seeing a couple of games I can say that State has a plan. Throw the ball into Michigan's Defense. Easy points.

Stopping Robinson (and the rest of Michigan's offense)? GOOD LUCK!

Well, after seeing a couple of games I can say that State has a plan. Throw the ball into Michigan's Defense. Easy points.

Stopping Robinson (and the rest of Michigan's offense)? GOOD LUCK!

My guess is MSU will throw a lot of different looks at Robinson to try to throw him off his game, and I won't be surprised at all to see MSU run a 3-4 defense for a lot of the game. Robinson is going to get his yards and his points, the key is going to try to keep him from busting the big plays. Keep a Spy on him, jam the box and force him to throw the ball. MSU doesn't have the best defense by any stretch of the imagination, but it's better than anything UM has faced so far. Robinson is much better passer than he was last year, but I think MSU's best shot will be to make him throw the ball.

Offensively MSU needs to control the clock. Keep Robinson off the field and UM's crappy defense on the field. More drives like that 9 minute one against Wisconsin would be perfect. Let Cousins throw 5-8 yard passes all the way down the field.

I can't wait for tomorrow :rockin:

im a notre dame fan... i say go sparty (i dont like dick rod) it should be a fantastic game.. denard is the real deal too bad michigan's defense sucks!

any coach that goes for a fake fg that will tie it up in OT is a BAD ASS! Dantonio gets the call of the year!!!

GO GREEN GO WHITE!!!

What a win, 3 in a row now. And a great performance by the defense to stop Shoelace :rockin:

Wow. Robinson threw some VERY ill-advised tosses. But the defense wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Not nearly good enough, but when your QB is giving the ball away all day, you gotta crank it up to the next level if you want to have a chance.

Back