Im bout to give up on kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
I am about sick of messing with these damn things. Last night I unhooked the gas from my fully carbonated keg because it never fails to shoot up to 15-20 psi after I purge keg and redial in at 10. So I decided i was gonna try and loose some of the co2 in the keg by purging it a few times over 24 hours or so. I go in to do this last night and the pressure on the regulator(unhooked from corny and dialed to what should be zero) is at 25. I bleed that off and its back at zero. THEN I wake up this morning to repeat and its at 40. What the hell is going on here? Its a dual gauge regualtor(with 1 high pressure and two low) from midwest and I keep it in the kegerator at about 40-42 degrees.

sounds like the regulator is slowly leaking gas into the line causing the pressure to build up.

I think Ill try and see if I can get a new one from midwest. Anyone know of their return policices?

Call midwest, I had the same problem and they helped me fix it. The regulaor probably has debris in it and can't close. to fix it, you just get a 9/16 wrench, take off the air hose from the regulator. Open the tank valve and shut it as quickly as possible twice to blast co2 out the regulator and remove the debris. Don't open the valve for more than 1/2 a second or the debris will freeze. I had to do this a couple of times but it was easy.

I called them and they were very nice and helpful, I was impressed.

I wonder if this happens to many people with these midwest regulators, do all of them do this? I'm new to kegging.

Regulators are nothing more than a big screw, spring and diaphragm. Tear that mother apart and make sure the diaphragm isn't torn or dirty.

Maybe time to bet a better quality regulator?
I always had crap luck with the economy regulators/faucets/etc.
I stepped up to Premium Micromatic stuff and never looked back.

Back