Soliciting suggestions - accidental experiment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotbreakHotel

Reaction score
I had a batch of brown ale I made. When I tasted it I thought it was just too boring so I carmelized some raisins in some special B steeped water and dumped the liquid into the fermenter. A month or so later I bottled it. I didn't really care for it so I left it for a couple of months and then cracked one and it had a little off flavor, kind of like iced tea that's turned.

Then I cracked another one a month later and it definitely has a bug -- big bubbles and and that little sour pucker, but somehow it kind of tastes good! I do like to drink some Jolly Pumpkin and other funky beers, so I would like to go along with this beer and let it age and see what happens -- maybe it will turn into something nice.

But since the beer is already in bottles I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the bottles exploding. Should I empty the bottles back into a fermenter and let it offgas and bulk age instead of leaving it in the bottles? Is there anything else can recommend trying?

No one has any ideas? I would appreciate if anyone has experience with something like this would help me out.

I feared exploding bottles, so today I poured 2 cases of bottles into a plastic fermenter to let it offgas, then I was going to age it for a while and I guess see what happens. Do you think I did the right thing?

I think you risked making sour cardboard but, that is better than the bad taste a hospital bill and stitches would leave in your mouth any day.

Open the bottles putting a new cap on each but DONT crimp them.
Wait an hour or so then re-cap

OR
If it tastes good now stick it in tha fridge stick it in tha fridge stick it in tha fridge

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you did the right thing. If you are worried about oxidation just purge the headspace with CO2 or add in a bit of sugar to kick fermentation off again.

Back