White Lab Sweet Mead Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonann

Reaction score
Any feedback for white lab's WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine Yeast?
i intend to get this yeast for my next batch. any comments would be welcomed :mug:

I just bought some as well. I plan on using it by the end of the week. If I get to it before you do, I will let you know.

Thanks. i would only get the yeast end of this month, so you would definitely use it before me :)

It's pretty decent stuff, but when they say sweet, they mean it.

All the batches of mead that I have made, were based on 15 lbs honey and 5 gallons of water. I believe this recipe more so than the yeast contributed to the overall sweetness of the resulting mead.

That said, make a starter and watch your fermenting temps and you'll be fine. The longer you let this stuff age, the better.

I've seen this with multiple threads now - but this yeast only goes up to about 11% and craps out. keep that in mind with your starting gravity to ensure your FG doesn't put you in syrup sweetness category.

White lab states that the alcohol tolerance is at 15%
Could anyone able to confirm?

The Sweet Mead yeast strain from White Labs (and the Wyeast version as well) is notoriously unpredictable in performance, often stopping short of desired ABV. In the few times I've used it, it was never able to get anywhere near 15% ABV. IMHO, it is far better to use a better behaved yeast strain, ferment to dryness, and then backsweeten to taste.

Latest posts

Back