Temperature while draining wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imrowe

Reaction score
I finished my first all-grain this past weekend using a batch sparge. My mash-in temperature after adding all the grain and mixing was about right at 155F. After an hour I started draining the wort which proceeded at a snails pace. Very shortly, the temperature of the grain-bed had dropped to 150F. Obviously it would have dropped even further so I started adding near boiling water to the top in an attempt to raise it back up. After about 1 1/2 hours I added the remaining sparge water at 170F and finished.

Question: I this even a concern? Does the temperature of the grainbed need to be maintained at or above the mash temperature throughout the initial wort draining or can I just drain and forget it as long as the following batch sparges are conducted hot?

I know it depends on who you talk to, but if your using the batch sparge method, then you dont need to drain slowly. I usually open it about a 1/3 of the way to recycle the wort until clear, then open it full bore. Usually draining my mash tun in under 5 min. Same thing for the sparging. Thats the advantage of the batch sparge method, the huge time savings. :rockin:

Yeah, well that was the plan, but when I opened the spigot it just dribbled out. My grain bill was 50% wheat so maybe that had some effect? Anyway, now I know that people recommend using rice hulls for a reason.

I know it depends on who you talk to, but if your using the batch sparge method, then you dont need to drain slowly. I usually open it about a 1/3 of the way to recycle the wort until clear, then open it full bore. Usually draining my mash tun in under 5 min. Same thing for the sparging. Thats the advantage of the batch sparge method, the huge time savings. :rockin:

Back