How many fermenters going at once?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So right now I have 8 different brews in my basement that me and a friend have brewed. Pretty crazy. Not much room to move around but in the end its worth it. In my opinion this is a good amount to have going. Just wondering how many you all have had going at once? Does your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend care and what do they say if they are upset?

- Brian

I think there is another recent thread on this. The most I've ever had going was two. My wife didn't mind too much as they were in the corner of the dining room. Now that I have a new keezer, my old kegerator will be my new fermentation cabinet.

I had 5 going at once a month or two ago. It was still cold, so I had them all going in our walkin closet...wife was not thrilled. However, it was good leverage to buy all the goodies for my fermentation chamber in the garage :D. Now that I think of it, I've got 6 going right now too!

1 - Brown Ale
1 - Pale Ale
2 - Apfelwein
2 - Stout

Now that my fermentation chamber is built, I have 4 in there. The only stuff left in my closet is the Apfelwein, since it needs to be fermented a bit higher than the ales.

My roommate just bought a fermenter to join in on all the fun, so there are 5 in my apartment now, though one is empty until this weekend.

2 to 4 here, but during the cold season they get spread out all over the house for the proper temps. The wife doesn't mind much anymore because she started developing a taste for beer.... only took 5 years :)

Definitely worth having a bunch going so that you can build up a continual stock of properly aged fermented beverages.

I have 5 fermenters - 4 are currently full. 2 have sours though, so those have been tied up for a bit. I'm picking up another freebie this weekend and am gonna start doing 8 gallon batches (4 gal in ea. 5 gal carboy), to split yeast and do other experiments.

Both beers that are in primary need to be bottled - didn't do it this weekend, but should get it done tonight and tomorrow.

My wife doesn't really care - I have them in my own area. She rides horses and I brew beer, so we each have our smelly, yet compromising hobbies that make us happy. It's good synchrony.

I have 3 going right now. I let the stock get really low before we moved. I wans't thrilled with the idea of moving full carboys and buckets across town in a truck. I think one I build up the stock that I will probably only have one or two at a time.

SWMBO didn't like that I had 2 Buckets and 2 carboys in the kitchen, so I was able to build a keezer and I also have one of the lower double cabinets in the kitchen to use as a fermenter chiller. Works well. :ban:

She really doesn't care how many I have going at one time if they are out of the way and she doesn't have to see them all the time.

So right now I have 8 different brews in my basement that my and a friend have brewed. Pretty crazy. Not much room to move around but in the end its worth it. In my opinion this is a good amount to have going. Just wondering how many you all have had going at once? Does your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend care and what do they say if they are upset?

My first brew is getting racked to secondary this weekend, after that we'll have 2. I brew with the girlfriend, so she's in favor. We just stick them back in a storage room in the basement so they're not taking up foot space.

I just do one beer at a time and I use one fermenter for all steps. I have a bunch of other hobbies I do that take a lot of my time too. I also don't drink too much homebrew as it tends to be stronger that what I like to drink gets me drunk too fast. I like it a lot though. I thought of brewing lighter beers but then I would go through it too fast and need to brew a lot and that would be too much for me. It’s a hobby for me, not a beer source.

I just do one beer at a time and I use one fermenter for all steps. I have a bunch of other hobbies I do that take a lot of my time too. I also don't drink too much homebrew as it tends to be stronger that what I like to drink gets me drunk too fast. I like it a lot though. I thought of brewing lighter beers but then I would go through it too fast and need to brew a lot and that would be too much for me. It’s a hobby for me, not a beer source.
I’m so confused . . . :drunk:

If you include my 1 gallon growler/fermentors I have 10 right now. But I have 3 five gallon batches right now.

2 Beers about to be bottled in the next day or two, then two beers that went on the other day, five Imperial gallons in each one.
Then I have four 1 gallon fermenters on the go with wines in and one five gallon wine,

So four beers and 5 wines presently.

I'll have two free fermenters in the next few days and will have to order more to get the pipeline running, that's my main problem, I have a windfall of cash coming shortly so am gonna buy enough kits to get my bottles all filled so I can then ease off a bit and just put on one every two weeks or so and keep a nice stock built and aging.

I have 4 I try to keep going. I wish I had more, but have a huge nada on the space issue. When we go looking for a house and a job here in a little over a year, brew space and potential brew space will be a HUGE priority :D

I’m so confused . . . :drunk:

I don't brew more than one beer at a time.
I like to drink more than 6 beers before calling it a night so I usually drink more commercial light beers than I do my homebrew. I can drink more of the light beers but I still like to drink a few homebrews now and then.
If I tried to brew enough light beer for my regular consumption I wouldn't have time for my other hobbies.

Still confused?:(

4 going right now. It'll be down to 3 when I bottle the pilsner this weekend. I have to plan 2 more beers to fill the empty ones. :ban:

I don't brew more than one beer at a time.
I like to drink more than 6 beers before calling it a night so I usually drink more commercial light beers than I do my homebrew. I can drink more of the light beers but I still like to drink a few homebrews now and then.
If I tried to brew enough light beer for my regular consumption I wouldn't have time for my other hobbies.

Still confused?:(

Yep, whatta ya' mean by other hobbies? Besides old British sports cars, I didn't know there were other hobbies as addicting as this one.

Beers y'all,
Ken

5 gallons of Honey Nut Brown

5 gallons of Buena Noche

5 gallons of Maibock

3 gallons of Apfelwien

1 gallon of Peach & Apple cider

4 gallons Apfelwein

Brewing up 5 gallons of a Pils this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Yep, whatta ya' mean by other hobbies? Besides old British sports cars, I didn't know there were other hobbies as addicting as this one.

Beers y'all,
Ken

;)

For fun I will tell you.

1) I have a 125 gallon saltwater reef tank that is connected to another 30 gallon tank. I have both fish and live corals.
2) I fish, both fresh and saltwater. I crab and clam sometimes too.
3) I garden (one big garden and many small) and grow fruits and berries. Start most plants from seed. Can and store many vegetables.
4) I maintain and keep cactus and unusual plants. A few hundred at times.
5) I like archery, just target shooting
6) I make wine ;) we just planted a bunch of grapevines too.
7) I love to cook and make my own hot sauces from peppers I grow.
8) Maintain a 10 acre property (yeah, I enjoy it)
9) I have a rowboat I like to take out in our creek.
10) Used to keep bonsai, just started one last year.
11) I have a 66 ford 250 stake body pickup truck that I want to fix up some.
12) Help girlfriend with her art projects and sculptures. (we share all these hobbies to some degree)
13) Then there is the usual, watch movies, TV, read some, explore woods, that kind of stuff.
14) Oh, if we don't lose our jobs we are going to get chickens and goats.

I have four 5 gallon batches going now and 8 little one gallon experimental things going. I actually hope to have room to do ten 5 gallon batches (including wine & beer) at a time once we have the new brew space converted. If HWMBC would stop buying old cars & things from store closings we would have the room & time to get it done.

I'm a lighweight. I usually have one 3 gallon fermenter of apfelwein going at all times, and usually a 6 gallon of beer. I bought another fermenter a month ago so that might change.

The biggest hurdle for me is that I bottle all my beer. Bottling takes way too long especially since I'm a cleaning nazi.

;)

For fun I will tell you.

1) I have a 125 gallon saltwater reef tank that is connected to another 30 gallon tank. I have both fish and live corals.
2) I fish, both fresh and saltwater. I crab and clam sometimes too.
3) I garden (one big garden and many small) and grow fruits and berries. Start most plants from seed. Can and store many vegetables.
4) I maintain and keep cactus and unusual plants. A few hundred at times.
5) I like archery, just target shooting
6) I make wine ;) we just planted a bunch of grapevines too.
7) I love to cook and make my own hot sauces from peppers I grow.
8) Maintain a 10 acre property (yeah, I enjoy it)
9) I have a rowboat I like to take out in our creek.
10) Used to keep bonsai, just started one last year.
11) I have a 66 ford 250 stake body pickup truck that I want to fix up some.
12) Help girlfriend with her art projects and sculptures. (we share all these hobbies to some degree)
13) Then there is the usual, watch movies, TV, read some, explore woods, that kind of stuff.
14) Oh, if we don't lose our jobs we are going to get chickens and goats.

Come to think of it there are a lot of hobbies I gave up (played guitar for a long time) because I lost interest of needed time for others, not to mention the ones I haven't taken up yet but want to. Really wish I could retire :(

I've never had more than three beers going at once, but counting meads, ciders and wines, I've hit 6. Four of those were one gallon batches.

unless you are doing some big brews there is really no difference in Homebrew alcohol content compared to commercial beers both regular and "light". Most of mine fall between 5-6%.

Light beer does not mean light in Alcohol in most beers, MGD has 5% alcohol while Miller light has 4.5%.Light beers just tend to have far less carbohydrates in them usually around 2 -3 grams as apposed to reg beer that has 12-14 grams per 12 0z. This is what lowers the calorie content .

Sadly, I have none fermenting as I've been working 80-90hr weeks since bottling the last two batches. I do plan on washing some yeast off of the next batches to save some *dough.

unless you are doing some big brews there is really no difference in Homebrew alcohol content compared to commercial beers both regular and "light". Most of mine fall between 5-6%.

Light beer does not mean light in Alcohol in most beers, MGD has 5% alcohol while Miller light has 4.5%.Light beers just tend to have far less carbohydrates in them usually around 2 -3 grams as apposed to reg beer that has 12-14 grams per 12 0z. This is what lowers the calorie content .

I have heard all that before but for some reason, don't know why, I can never drink as many "regular" beers as I can "light" beers no matter what and not get more drunk sooner. And that may be just my imagination but I have been having that fantasy dream for going on 30 years now. Ok, I drink Natural Light the most (yup, I admit that) because I can drink a lot and still not get too buzzed. It's the next best thing to drinking water while I putt around the house doing things only difference is that eventually I start to get buzzed. My home brews usually fall around the 5% range and they always get me buzzed quicker.

Back