Darnit!! Think I have my first stalled fermentation... Any thoughts??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phipcice

Reaction score
(learned a few lessons I think) Brewed a Belgian tripel, hit OG 1.085.. I followed my standard schedule of leaving in primary for 10 days then transferred. (1st mistake - assuming fermentation was complete.). AFTER transfer I checked (1.030).. Then worry set in, waited until this morning (3 days later), checked again (1.030).. Crud... Yes, I know, I should have checked prior to transfer (1st lesson learned).. Looking back, unfortunately my house got quite cold a few times during primary, freaking cold Wisconsin spring is killing me, I need to pay better attention to temp control (2nd lesson learned). Now that beer is out of primary, not sure swirl and warming will do anything.. Any help/thoughts to get to the finish line would be greatly appreciated...

You have a couple of problems..

First you transfered too soon. Belgian yeasts often start fast, but then take their time getting down to FG.

Second, you let the temp drop. Most yeasts do not like to have the temp drop, but Belgian yeasts absolutely hate a temp drop after fermentation starts.

Chris White of White Labs yeast, says of Belgian yeasts.*

*"When you cool them, they stop. They go into survival mode. You can try rousing them, raising the temperature, but they won't start again. You just have to add new yeast."

You probably should get some more yeast, make a starter and pitch it at high krausen. Get the temp up to the high end of the yeast you are using. At this point you are not going to develop off flavors from fermenting hot.

Hello, a swamp cooler with a aquarium heater ($20 at wallyworld) works great to control and keep temps up when its too cold for your fermentation, this is how I keep my Saison 3724 above 84 deg for finishing.

Cheers :mug:

Hello, a swamp cooler with a aquarium heater ($20 at wallyworld) works great to control and keep temps up when its too cold for your fermentation, this is how I keep my Saison 3724 above 84 deg for finishing.

I do this also for brews that need heat. I too have Saison using 3724 going right now at 88.

Good ol' Brew Belt works great for me. I can get my beers into the 80's even when bulk aging in the cold side (55*) of my cellar. They don't heat very quickly either, so you have time to loosen it if you want to stabilize or reduce the temp.

+1 on everyone's comments, re-pitch a starter at high kraeusen, get it warmed up with some kind of heater. Hard to get Belgians restarted.

Chris White of White Labs yeast, says of Belgian yeasts.*

*"When you cool them, they stop. They go into survival mode. You can try rousing them, raising the temperature, but they won't start again. You just have to add new yeast."

Not universally true in my experience.

Not universally true in my experience.

.Maybe not universally true, but the OP did say that his house got quite cold. Since he is in Wisconsin I believe that he got cold enough to cause a problem. Getting a little cold and the yeast may start again, but getting real cold and most likely the yeast willl not start again. I guess it all depends on the definition of cold. I am guessing that sine the OP is from Wisconsin his description of quite cold is different from someone that lives in a warmer climate.

.Maybe not universally true, but the OP did say that his house got quite cold. Since he is in Wisconsin I believe that he got cold enough to cause a problem. Getting a little cold and the yeast may start again, but getting real cold and most likely the yeast willl not start again. I guess it all depends on the definition of cold. I am guessing that sine the OP is from Wisconsin his description of quite cold is different from someone that lives in a warmer climate.

Yes, it could be that's his problem. I was more addressing the statement by Chris White that implied all Belgian yeasts do that. I respect his knowledge and experience, but I've had some experiences to the contrary.

Yes, it could be that's his problem. I was more addressing the statement by Chris White that implied all Belgian yeasts do that. I respect his knowledge and experience, but I've had some experiences to the contrary.

True. It really gets down to just how cold. Minor temp drops can be restarted. Major temp drops just freak out Belgian yeasts. They do have temps that cause them to stop.

True. It really gets down to just how cold. Minor temp drops can be restarted. Major temp drops just freak out Belgian yeasts. They do have temps that cause them to stop.

As does almost any yeast strain. But I find WY1762, for instance, about as resistant to temp swings as most ale yeast.

As does almost any yeast strain. But I find WY1762, for instance, about as resistant to temp swings as most ale yeast.

Each strain is different. I agree that 1762 acts more like most ale yeasts, but it also is more sensitive to high temps than most Belgian yeasts. Ferment 1762 too hot too fast and you might as well call NASA and ask them if they want to buy some rocket fuel.

Since the Op did not mention which yeast was used and exactly what temps he was experiencing we are just guessing.

Like has been said already, the cold snap can shut down the Belgian yeast. You also had a high OG of 1.085. Depending on whether or not you made a starter, or pitched 2 vials/packages of yeast, could make it stall as well. I under pitch every time and keep to a strict temperature regimen. That has fixed any stalling problems I had. I recommend pitching a clean fermenting yeast to finish up. Maybe something like a California or maybe and English strain. Your flavors have already set in. Don't be afraid to repitch when it's this far in the fermentation. Not going to get many off flavors as of now. Good luck and remember to monitor temps as best as possible. Belts work great. My fermentation chamber has a heater to be able to control it a bit further.

Big thanks for all the great feedback!! I decided to re-hydrate a sachet of dry yeast re-pitch as I have no experience making a true starter. I also improved my temp control by taking the tub I use to cool my wort and added an adjustable aquarium heater. Putting the carboy in the tub filled with water with the heater has made it easy to control temp. It's only been a few hours and it seems as though this may have done the trick as air lock is bubbling along nicely. Obviously I won't know until I take another gravity reading in about a week..

Crud... Pitching more hydrated yeast didn't do squat... Maybe small move forward (from 1.030 to maybe 1.027) but surely not what I was looking for... I apologize to those who suggested making a starter and pitching at high krausen, I don't have what's needed to do that... Will definitely learn how to make starters going forward.. One last try.. Fellow brewers I work with gave me something to try.. At this point I'll try anything... Went to store and bought Malta Goya, Latino beverage made from malt, no alcohol... Put 2 bottles in sanitized pitcher, added some yeast, was told to wait until "high krausen" (not really sure when this is..)... Pretty significant cake after 48 hours, pitched and now I'm waiting.. Refuse to dump...

What Yeast did you pitch in this batch the first time ? ? ?, we need this information to help you, if its 3724 you are experiencing the dreaded stuck at 1.030 that this yeast is if famous for, once vigorous fermentation starts to slow, you have to get 3724 yeast above 84 deg to get it to ferment out...

I'll repeat myself one more time just incase it is,

The Malta Goya yeast kick start seemed to do the trick, got it down to 1.020.. Got it in the bottle yesterday. Not sure what to expect.. Going to let it sit for a while.. Thanks a lot for all the feedback.. Learned a lot.. Bought equipment to control temp.

Back