should I age my dubbel in a secondary or in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trub quaffer

Reaction score
I've got a belgian dubbel that I've been aging in the secondary for about 5 weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on continuing to age it in the secondary at room temp. vs. racking it to the keg, force carbonating it and continuing to age at room temp. My plan is to let it age for 3 months or longer before drinking.

It seems to me that when I force carbonate, the beer has a harsher flavor for the first week or so. By force carbonating now I'd definitely not have to worry about that harsh taste but I'd need to purge the headspace really well to eliminate risk of oxidation.

I can't think of any really compelling arguements for or against proceeding either way so I thought I'd see what you all have to say.

I honestly don't think it matters either way. I've done both, and for ales there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

I would do it in the keg, but if I needed the keg for other beer in the meantime I would stay in the secondary.

I skip secondaries all together there is no need for them in my opinion. I would put it in the Keg and age it. I am brewing a Dubble this morning that I plan to age in the keg, seems to be working so far for me.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions- I'm again wasting time worrying about things that really don't matter. I think I'll just continue ageing in the carboy and then rack to the keg a couple of weeks before I'm ready to drink it so I can cold crash and smooth out the CO2 bite. At this point I have more carboys than kegs.

For ales or lagers that are below 1.055 I never secondary in a carboy I only keg them. Some beers that have to age over a long period (over 4 months) I will secondary and then keg.

I would do it in the keg, but if I needed the keg for other beer in the meantime I would stay in the secondary.

+1 on this. I would definitely give the dubbel 4-6 months to age. I have a stronger than usual dubbel aging in a carboy and I'm unsure whether I'll keg or bottle as a Christmas special.

Back