NB - Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZacMac

Reaction score
I have a batch of NB Irish Red in the primary and will be transfering
to secondary this week.
I was planning on handing out 6 packs as Christmas
this year, but apparently Christmas will be on the 15th this year for my wifes family.

It has been in the primary for 9-10 days (Thanksgiving got in the way) and will be in the secondary for about 2 1/2 weeks.

Does anyone see a major problem if I bottle it too early to make the celebration and should I consider leaving it in the primary for the duration of the fermentation.
Thanks!

:mug:

and should I consider leaving it in the primary for the duration of the fermentation.
Generally Primary IS the fermenter. The secondary vessel is for conditioning and clearing.

Do you have an Hydrometer. That will allow you to gauge if it is ready for bottling. If it is then it is up to your judgement to say if it is ready to bottle and if you are happy with the conditioning time.

I would leave in the primary until the latest possible day. Bottle and then enforce an opening date at the earliest 4 weeks after bottling and give storage instructions. 4 weeks at room temperature and then chill for 3 days.

The risk of this is that if you do not have an hydrometer you could be handing out bombs.

Back