Fridge or freezer conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgcant

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what's best to convert to a kegerator a fridge or a chest freezer? I have been doing to some research on other forums and I understand that when using an external temperature controller that it is really hard on the compressor of the chest freezer. It's something to do with the quick cycling on/off of the compressor?? I imagine this wouldn't be a problem with a fridge. I've checked craigs list and there are plenty of fridges and freezers out there either for free or under a $100. Getting a chest freezer to my place would be easier because it would fit in the back of the old mini-van a fridge would be more of a challenge. Either conversion doesn't seem to terribly hard(even for me:) )

Had a refrigerator based one, new kegger is a freezer. I don't know where people get the idea that using an external controller on a freezer will make it cycle faster than it normally would. Mine comes on about 1/3 as often as the freezer (being used as a freezer) next to it and I have the kegger's Ranco set for a 2F deadband. If you try to turn a compressor on within a few minutes of it stopping, that can be a problem, but my kegger comes on every couple hours.

I'm in the middle of converting a chest freezer. Right now, it's doing duty as a 'lagerator'. I have a Ranco controller hooked up to it. So far, it's been workng perfectly. Just set the freezer's setting all the way up to the top setting (coldest) and let the controller do it's work.

Latest posts

Back