USPS stamp rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
So given the gas price increases, we've seen a number of first class postage increases in the last few years and it's a pain in the ass. I've got a bunch of stamps that are non demoninational meaning no value printed on the front. It just says first class.

Ok, so I figure to myself that it's a valid stamp today, no matter what the new rate is because when I bought it, I was prepaying for a service. This constitutes the future value of money arguement right? I mean, I may have paid 39 cents for it last year, by now, that 39 cents has apprciated to at LEAST 41 cents. If I mail a letter with that stamp today, it should cover the cost of the current postage. Of course I'm wrong. The guy at the post office told me that it's a 39 cent stamp. How the FLUCK am I supposed to know that. It's like having dollar bills with pictures and no numbers.

Now I see that they released this liberty bell stamp that is supposed to be just like what I thought all the other non denominational stamps are (ALWAYS current). So why does it make sense on the liberty bell and not on the American Flag stamps? Totally lame.

This is what happens when the stupid government maintains a forceful monopoly over an entire market. They charge whatever they want because there's no competition...at least not in the first class mail sector. They're dying a slow death, and these price increases are the death rattle.

You never hear about people complaining that their mail makes it to their mailbox and to the receiver. I think you get what you pay for.

I hope their not dying, no one else is ready to pick up what they do that's for sure.
Beside htf does a government business fail? It has practically unlimited money backing especially with as important as it is.

It is frustrating to have old stamps sitting around. I have a sheet of 3cent stamps laying here from around 8 years ago when postage was changed. I have complained in my own head for all these years.

However.....

My mindset has changed. I have mailed and shipped many things. I have also ordered many things that were shipped to me. For the money, USPS is the best. They are faster than UPS and FEDEX for standard 'ground' type shipping. USPS doesn't route stuff around the nation instead of where it needs to go and take extra days (aside from mistakes, which they all make).

When I order stuff, I always select USPS shipping if it is offered. When I ship stuff, I always use USPS. You can't send a letter for under a dollar using UPS or FEDEX.

Even if they raise the stamp to $1, I will pay it over the $10 or more the other guys charge.

I still have those 3cent stamps though...

knipknup said:
I still have those 3cent stamps though...

Well, if you have like 14 of them, you can send a letter. They're still good. So what's the problem? Next time you're at the post office, get some penny stamps or dime stamps and you're good to go.

One cool thing about USPS is that, by government mandate, they are to cover their costs. In other words, be in the black. Show a profit. No, they're not a profit center for the government, but they are self sufficient. That's freakin awesome. It's a service we all use, we all support, and it doesn't come out of our pockets except for the cost of the services we use. A stamp.

You are getting a door to door service for less than a half a dollar. That's a good deal.... What other door to door service can you get for under a half of a dollar? Use postcards and it's even cheaper!

I am a part of the PCC (postal customers council) here in TN, and we have met several times with the PMG. Buck for buck, you cant beat the USPS, and the rate increase is way over due..

according to inflation, stamps today are way cheaper than what they were 50 years ago...

that in mind, DO NOT BUY THE FOREVER STAMP, you will be throwing away money when compared to the rate of inflation...

Back