Dunkelweizen Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ok guys, this is my first attempt at a wheat beer. So far so good. I am curious about aging though. I am making this for an Oktoberfest party that I am attending Oct. 15. I put it in the primary yesterday.

Would it be possible to ferment this for 10-11 days and rack to my bottles and let age for the remainder up to Oct 14th? 16 day bottle aging?

Would this work or do you not think it would be ready?

Like I said this is my first shot at a wheat and from what I get they mature rather quickly.

You might make it. When I do Heffes and Dweizens I usually go 14 days primary then bottle. Often, they are carbed and ready in another 14 days, sometimes need the full 3 weeks, but that's rare. You're only cheating it a few days, so I'd guess you'll make it. You should hit FG in about 4-7 days in primary if your temps are right.

Wheat beers are generally better young and you are looking to drink it very young. I would just try one before taking a bunch to a party. You may not be happy with how it turns out and not want people thinking your beer is no good if it's too young.

I think that you should be fine. 11-12 days of 70-74 degree room temp bottle aging and then 4-5 days in the fridge should be plenty of time.

Make sure you use a nice healthy pitch of yeast if you want the beer to condition quickly. In my experience a healthy pitch of 3068 pushes this beer to completion super fast, even at low (early 60s) fermentation temps.

i just did a wheat bier and I'm of the belief that it finished ferment in about 4-5 days, I'm giving it another week out of convenience and laziness. I think you'll probably be fine, but taste it first of course.

Back