2 liter oak barrels, whiskey optional

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwjester

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just happened across this website. They are basically selling white whiskey and a 2L barrel to age it in. 2L sounds about perfect to me for oak aging some barleywine or an RIS. It doesn't look like the barrels are available for order yet, but I, for one, put my email on their mailing list for when they are. Thought I'd share.

I think you'd be better off just buying oak chips. I don't think you'd want to age a beer in there longer than a week.

A barrel is a barrel. You'd probably want to age the whiskey in there first to soak in and kill off any unwated yeast/bacteria hiding in the wood. 2L is a little on the small side, but it may end up being on the strong side for flavour anyway, especially the first batch or two, so keeping some of and then blending it with non-barrel aged beer might be the way to go anyway.

From their site:

Our products are available for purchase onsite at the distillery and in select Washington State Liquor stores. If you don’t see our products at your local Washington State liquor store, simply ask a store employee to order it for you and it should be available within a week. Have your friends ask too! As inquiries rise, your local liquor store will begin to carry it on their shelves.

Out of state orders will soon be available. Please email us for details if you live outside of Washington State.

Those are used. They might add nice flavors depending on what was aging in them before, but you will have less toasted (oak) flavors.

Only once. I think a new oak barrel would cause the oak flavor to be extremely overpowering on a smaller batch.

Back