Brewtarget 1.2.2 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(emphasis mine)

Okay. I have been playing with this a bit because I couldn't get my version of beersmith to come anywhere near your numbers. No matter how I tried, I got an OG of 1.049 which was close enough to brewtarget's to simply be round off errors.

I noticed that I didn't have a "Light Malt Extract" (I am trying very hard to not use LME, because that has a completely different meaning in this context) in the list of ingredients in my version of beersmith, so I assumed you added it yourself. And then I think I spotted the problem.

You have defined the "Light Malt Extract" as a sugar in beersmith, but as an extract in brewtarget. A sugar is considered completely fermentable assuming your target ABV is within the tolerance of the yeast. Extracts are not. If I replaced your 6 lbs of "Light Malt Extract" with a pure sugar, my numbers suddenly agreed with yours.

So is your "Light Malt Extract" a sugar, e.g., table sugar or brown sugar? Or is it a malt extract? Additionally, if it is an extract, is it a liquid or dry extract? The dry usually has a bit more sugar to it.

Yes. I know. This still doesn't explain why your measurements exactly match the expected OG when using the sugar in the calculations. If it is a dry malt extract and not a liquid, the dry malt has just enough more fermentable sugar in it to make up the difference. The exact difference between LME and DME depends on the tables you are looking at, and will vary from batch to batch of each.

Mik

Here is what is werid. It was classisfied as Grain in beersmith... no clue where sugar came into play. To make things more wonky, I changed it to extract (since it is) and it showed my OG as 1.041 which is NO WHERE NEAR where it should be. I don't know how your getting 1.049 in Brewtarget as I get 1.047. I am using their ingredients and their stuff and hit it dead on like I said. This is confusing me even more now.

Mik,

Great catch. I guess Beersmith ignores the percent yield if the type is changed to "Sugar" in which case it assumes the yield is 100%, therefore giving him the required 6.17 lb of equivalent glucose.

First, was it liquid or dry extract? If it was liquid, could it possibly be that you used a 6.6 lb can instead of 6.0 lb?

Liquid.... sealed 6lb bag. I weighed it on my scale. I am scratching my head. This is the second time I have made this "kit" as I normally take recipes and tweak them to my liking and my available ingredients. When I went into BeerSmith and checked my grains I saw that it said "Light Malt Extract" and then category "Grain". I changed it to Extract and it skewed the whole recipe like I said to no where near the specs. 1.041 OG... WTF? I can post the recipe from BeerSmith if you or Mik want to see what I am talking about now. Funny thing is I use this LME (liquid) for a lot of my Extract batches and input the recipes into BeerSmith and they are always spot on. What gives. To be honest, I haven't been using BrewTarget because it was always off. I Like the simplcity of BrewTarget better and wanted to use it more, but the inconsistency that I am brining up here has always held me back when BeerSmith has been right... even with it listed as "Sugar".

Just downloaded 1.2.2 and getting pretty comfortable with it.
I have a question about how to handle late malt extract additions.
I noticed that if I click to make it "Late" and then look at the details, it says that it is being added "after boil."
What (if any) adjustments do I make if I plan on making an addition at 15 minutes left in the boil versus after the boil? It's dry extract if that makes a difference.

Funny thing is I use this LME (liquid) for a lot of my Extract batches and input the recipes into BeerSmith and they are always spot on. What gives. To be honest, I haven't been using BrewTarget because it was always off.

I don't know what to tell you man. I formulated it by hand and came up with 1.047, I used Beertools' free online calculator and came up with 1.047, Brewtarget says 1.047, TastyBrew.com says 1.044, the Beer Recipator says 1.045. I can think of only 3 options: 1) That bag of liquid extract is more like 7 lb than 6 lb...2) Your final volume is more like 4 gallons instead of 5.25...3) You have not calibrated your hydrometer (you do this by buying distilled water and floating the hydrometer in it...ideally it should be zero, but it will be off by some fixed offset). I'm sorry you feel that brewtarget is off, but when it agrees with by-hand calculation as well as all the other calculators, there must be some external factor going on here, and I'll work with you to figure out what it is if you want.

Just downloaded 1.2.2 and getting pretty comfortable with it.
I have a question about how to handle late malt extract additions.
I noticed that if I click to make it "Late" and then look at the details, it says that it is being added "after boil."
What (if any) adjustments do I make if I plan on making an addition at 15 minutes left in the boil versus after the boil? It's dry extract if that makes a difference.

Is there a specific reason you want to do 15 minutes instead of like 5 minutes? If not, later is usually better. If you need the 15 minute addition, just be aware that the actual bitterness will be a bit lower than what is reported, but it's not that big a deal since all the approximation formulas for IBUs are only a rough guide anyway.

I don't know what to tell you man. I formulated it by hand and came up with 1.047, I used Beertools' free online calculator and came up with 1.047, Brewtarget says 1.047, TastyBrew.com says 1.044, the Beer Recipator says 1.045. I can think of only 3 options: 1) That bag of liquid extract is more like 7 lb than 6 lb...2) Your final volume is more like 4 gallons instead of 5.25...3) You have not calibrated your hydrometer (you do this by buying distilled water and floating the hydrometer in it...ideally it should be zero, but it will be off by some fixed offset). I'm sorry you feel that brewtarget is off, but when it agrees with by-hand calculation as well as all the other calculators, there must be some external factor going on here, and I'll work with you to figure out what it is if you want.

Hydrometer is calibrated.... extract was weighed and beer was 5.25 I mean possibly 5.26, 5.27 gallons at 1.052. I can care less that as I am hitting my OG , I just want to use brewtarget since it is OSX so I don't have to boot into Windows and launch Windows and Beersmith.

I have a quick question.
When adding an ingredient, how do enter the gravity point contribution?

You don't, at least not directly, however, any ferment-able you add has a type, amount and yield that in turn determines the contribution.

Well then how do you do it?
Say if I wanted to add agave nectar with an SG of 1.028 per 1 pound in 1 gallon of water.
Or a grain thats 1.033?

Well then how do you do it?
Say if I wanted to add agave nectar with an SG of 1.028 per 1 pound in 1 gallon of water.
Or a grain thats 1.033?

Yield is a relative quantity in relation to how much gravity pure glucose (corn sugar) would add. If we are talking in points per lb/gal, then since glucose gives 46 points per lb/gal, your agave nectar would have a yield of 28/46 = 60.9%, and your grain would have a yield of 33/46 = 71.7%.

Maris Otter is just the brand name UK 2-row, which is already there. You can make a separate Maris Otter entry if you want, but it makes no real difference.

Thanks! As you can probably tell I'm new at this. Sorry for the trouble. Great product...I love it!

Hey dudes---

I can only get brewtarget to run one time on my computer, then it just locks up when i double click the icon....also, I have tried to uninstall it but it is not showing up on the list of programs to uninstall. Help!

Hey dudes---

I can only get brewtarget to run one time on my computer, then it just locks up when i double click the icon....also, I have tried to uninstall it but it is not showing up on the list of programs to uninstall. Help!

No need to do an uninstall. Just delete the folder that it's in. PM me the details about your system and we'll see if we can fix it.

Yield refers to the percentage of equivalent glucose by mass as far as measuring the specific gravity is concerned. In other words, if you put X lbs of lactose in Y gallons of water, it will raise the gravity as if you had added 0.761 * X lbs of glucose in Y gallons of water.

However, since we're using the BeerXML standard to be compatible with beersmith, there's not a good way to tell the program that this sugar adds to the OG, but is unfermentable. So, if you prefer setting the yield for lactose to 0, then you can do that. Either way, just be aware that your OG/FG/ABV might be a little off.

Just did a milk stout with 1.5lb of lactose. I also used a low attenuating yeast (Danstar Windsor) and to get the OG/FG and ABV to be correct (to match my measured values), I had to lower the (already low) attenuation of the yeast. It would be nice if there was a way for s/w to do that automatically (lower attenuation by %fermentable/(%fermentable+%unfermentable). )

Just did a milk stout with 1.5lb of lactose. I also used a low attenuating yeast (Danstar Windsor) and to get the OG/FG and ABV to be correct (to match my measured values), I had to lower the (already low) attenuation of the yeast. It would be nice if there was a way for s/w to do that automatically (lower attenuation by %fermentable/(%fermentable+%unfermentable). )

This is an old thread.

If you are still using 1.2.2, we are no longer actively developing that branch. v2.0.1 is our current version and v2.0.2 is hopefully being released as soon as I can get my windows dev environment rebuilt.

I believe we have addresses this issue in the v2 releases, but I would have to double check. I try to avoid those parts of the code.

Mik

This is an old thread.

If you are still using 1.2.2, we are no longer actively developing that branch. v2.0.1 is our current version and v2.0.2 is hopefully being released as soon as I can get my windows dev environment rebuilt.

I believe we have addresses this issue in the v2 releases, but I would have to double check. I try to avoid those parts of the code.

Mik

I could not find 1.2.4 (what I'm using). The link on 1.2.3 is dead. The only one that it stickied is this one...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/brewtarget-1-2-3-free-open-source-brewing-software-233676/

I have not tried the 2.0 version in a while. The last time I tried it, I could not get the equipment to work properly. I'll give it another try.

The older threads disappeared for reasons I never quite understood.

I am willing to help figure out what went wrong with your equipment profiles when upgrading. I would suggest waiting until the next minor release (v2.0.2). It fixes a few bugs with (oddly enough) upgrading on Windows and some of the OG calculations.

The longer answer to your original question is that the v1.x branches didn't handle non-fermentable sugars. Adding lactose would have counted as a "fermentable", even though the yeast can't actually make use of it. I'm looking at the code as I'm writing this, and this did get fixed in the v2.x branches (thanks to gigatropolis).

Mik

I just found this thread and downloaded BrewTarget. I like the look and functionality of the program. Being a Mac user, it has been difficult to find much software for home brewing.

I was a pretty prolific brewer for five years, then I took a five year hiatus. Just started up again three weeks ago. I had been using qbrew, but after three OS upgrades, I was surprised to find that it still worked.

Brewtarget seems to be my upgrade and replacement from qbrew. Thanks for a great piece of software.

Back