headaches???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. But I haven't really gotten drunk from strictly homebrew either.

I assume you are meaning hangover? Or do you mean while drinking it?

:mug:

If you're getting a headache while drinking it, you:

A - Have a hatchet in the back of your skull
B - Have pissed off SWMBO leading to - "A"
C - You're dehydrated.

If it's A or B, you're on your own. If that's not it, try drinking a couple glasses of water as soon as you feel the twinge. If it goes away, you need to drink more water throughout your day and not just on days you have a few beers. I believe there was an ER doc that posts here and I'm sure he can give you all the details of the nasty things that happen to you when you don't get enough fluids. (Beer & Coffee don't count);)

Not so much a hangover I don't think. Sometimes, if I have just two, I can get one but commercial beers don't do that.. it's weird.. I'll try the water!!!:tank:

I have the opposite effect... headaches from commercial beer and no effects from homebrew.

Not filtering homebrew leaves alot of natural goodness in the beer. I think thats why the buzz is better, and the hangovers are not very bad.

now see i have people who won't drink 'unfiltered beer' because it 'gives them a headache.'

honestly i think it's a mixture of dehydration, inability to stop drinking due to amazing taste, and not enough sleep.

i think alot of it is in the mind of the beerholder too. think to the binge weekends when you went on trips. for some reason you never, ever, get a hangover on those trips. regardles of the mass amounts of alcohol consumed. :drunk:

Isnt it the vitamin B that is left in the yeast that hangs out in home brew that helps you in not getting a hang over. in commercial beers they pasturize the beer and strip it of the yeast and vitamin b, so when you pee you are getting rid of alot of water in you system and vitamin b. with home brew you are intaking vitamin b as well as peeing it out, so you are maintaining and equalibrium in your system thus warding off the hangover.

Drinking water helps. In fact, I often get a glass of water and drink about half of it between beers. I guess it helps with the hangovers, but more importantly, it cleanses the palate and gets you ready for your next beer experience. :D

The headache and dry mouth is a result of dehydration, but alcohol also depletes your vitamin B supply, so taking a B complex vitamin also helps a bit.

I never get hung over or headaches from beer. Cheap distilled alcohol will give them to me though. Scotch and gin seem to be the worst. Wine in excessc will give me a hangover too.

Hmmmm, experimentation with B-complex vitamins added to the beer? Anyone know if these are broken down by heat? Wondering if it could be added to the boil or to secondary?

I never consumed a B-vitamin that didn't leave a crap taste in my mouth. And if you burp shortly after swallowing one, it's gross there too. I'd stick with the yeast in the beer for your B vitamins. I dunno, maybe pitch some extra in there at bottling, but I'm not sure how much Bvitamin you're actually getting there.

Nate said:
I have the opposite effect... headaches from commercial beer and no effects from homebrew.

Me too if I drink in moderation. All bets are off if binge drinking.

If you have some higher alcohols in your brew from a bad ferment then it is possible to get headaches from 1 or 2 brews.

A pharmacist friend told me that the headache is caused by the fluid inside the skull being depleted to the degree that the brain sits down onto the bony prominences inside the skull.

He sez, "Drink enough water to keep your fluid levels up, and the brain doesn't sit down so low."

Jim Karr said:
A pharmacist friend told me that the headache is caused by the fluid inside the skull being depleted to the degree that the brain sits down onto the bony prominences inside the skull.

He sez, "Drink enough water to keep your fluid levels up, and the brain doesn't sit down so low."
Man! Just reading that gave me a headache. I'm going to go drink some water.

Jim Karr said:

Bony Prominences...Ooohhh me love you long time Joe....

SIT....STAY....

boo boo said:
If you have some higher alcohols in your brew from a bad ferment then it is possible to get headaches from 1 or 2 brews.

This is true. I was reading that higher ferment temperatures are the key factor in producing them. Interestingly enough, I almost never get headaches but recently my wife and I drank a bottle of Chimay Blue (the 22 something oz) and split an 11 oz Mad Elf. Between both of us that really isn't terribly much Ale. But the next morning I had a slight headache and am suspecting higher alcohols from the Chimay.

Dad told me one thing. If you don't want a hangover, drink Scotch and water. I'm sure it's the water helping but it also depends on the type of alcohol. Homebrews have better alcohol than the commercial ones. As others stated too, it's not filtered so there are "things" in there that help overcome hangovers. One thing that helps me is to eat something along with a heaping helping of water.

Back