Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimFowler

Reaction score
I will be attempting to bottle my first batch tomorrow. Is there any point in pouring from my primary into a bottling bucket through a sanitized strainer, or is it better just to siphon from the fermenter and not worry about the sediment?

Much better to siphon. Be gentle with your beer at this point - so splashing.

Rig some sort of clamp to keep your siphon tip out of the sediment in the bottom - can be anything from something simple to ?? be creative.

Add your priming solution to the bottling bucket and rack on top. Easy.

+1, read that thread and SIPHON your beer in to your bottling bucket, don't pour or strain it.

Yep, what the others have said. At this point you want to transfer the beer are carefully as possible without introducing any oxygen. So, that usually means a nice siphon. Oxygen at this point can oxidize the beer and give you an unpleasant wet cardboard off-flavor.

Cool - will do and thanks for the advice ...... stay tuned in a couple or 3 weeks and I'll let you know how it turned out.

Back