Racking onto fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollofrost

Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about preserving natural sugars. I'm looking to make a hard cherry lemonade and I was wondering if I should kill the yeast before I rack onto the fruit so as to preserve the fruit's natural sugars as much as possible. Or should I just let the yeast ferment it all out and then backsweeten?

let the yeast ferment in the primary as normal. when primary fermentation is over rack onto the fruit of choice. dont kill the yeast. just make sure you add some pectic enzyme to the fruit before you put it in the secondary.

let the yeast ferment in the primary as normal. when primary fermentation is over rack onto the fruit of choice. dont kill the yeast. just make sure you add some pectic enzyme to the fruit before you put it in the secondary.

What does the Pectic enzyme do?

Silly Newbie question Thanks for the help

It helps break down pectins to get more juice from a pressing and it helps to clarify beverages that contain fruit juices or pulp. Pectins are one of the reasons you don't want to let juices boil, as they become cloudy and harder if not impossible to clear once the heat causes the pectins to set.

Back