Stock pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudog

Reaction score
I have been looking for a 7-8 gallon pot for awhile. The question I have is there a difference in quality compared to price. The cheapest I have found is at Austin brewing for an 8 gallon for $55. Should I buy it or is there a better one around for new brewers?

thanks

Results for Cookware

Scroll down to the bottom. 30qt (7.5gal) Medium weight stock pot $32.99

Heavy weight is better and will last longer. If you are having fun homebrewing so far, it'll be worth the extra money in the long run to buy the heavy weight, the pot will last a lot loooooonger. Dont forget to consider shipping charges..

It is stainless and shipping is is flat 7.95. I want to go stainless because of off metallic flavors I'm getting, and I think its my pressure cooker lol.

I just bought a turkey deep fryer to brew outside on propane for 99.99 that came with a 30 QT. pot... great deal!!!!

It is stainless and shipping is is flat 7.95. I want to go stainless because of off metallic flavors I'm getting, and I think its my pressure cooker lol.

SS is nicer than aluminum but aluminum wont cause off flavors as long as the oxide layer (dark discoloration) is left intact.

I have been looking for a 7-8 gallon pot for awhile. The question I have is there a difference in quality compared to price. The cheapest I have found is at Austin brewing for an 8 gallon for $55. Should I buy it or is there a better one around for new brewers?

thanks

I would seriously consider stepping up to the 40 qt for another $15. That should be big enough to handle just about any 5 gal batch you throw at it.

But before we go that far down this road, are you sure it's you're pot leaving metallic tastes in your beer? Have a good oxide layer in your current pot? (I'm assuming your pressure cooker is Al) I boil in a 30 qt Al pot ($20 at a local sporting goods store) and get no Aluminum tastes in my beer. I thought I was, but then the beer aged another week or two and it went away.

I think that's what causing the flavor, but I may be wrong. If you guys are saying al is fine, then can you recommend a place to buy a pot?

Ditto the above advice. I shopped hard for my stockpot and ended up with Austin's 10 gal. stainless, it's the best bang for your buck. If you've outgrown a 5 gal, you might as well just get a 10.

+1 on the 10 gal. You will have to watch that 8 gallon pot closely. It will boil over before you know it. I sometimes wish I got the 60 quart instead of the 40.

mudog, I see you're in the bay area. I'm going to assume that's the San Francisco bay area and not someplace like Tampa...

Assuming you are nearby, I just purchased a 40 qt aluminum stock pot with lid from the Costco Business Center in Hayward for under $50. I fired up the new propane burner I purchased at More Beer's 15% off sale, I spent WAY too much money this weekend, and boiled a little water in it to create an oxidized layer. It looks like it's going to be just perfect for doing full boils on my five gallon batches.

Hi all. First post after attempting my first extract batch (3 days in primary so far), and after my first boilover incident, I ordered a 15 gallon SS pot from instawares.com However, looking at some of the retailer reviews after the fact, they look, well....less than stellar. Anyone ever have any problems with the site?

Back