Oxidation risk when transferring wort to kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoc

Reaction score
Greetings,

Getting ready to do my first all-grain batch. In his book, Palmer says to make sure to use tubing to transfer the wort from the MLT to the kettle to "avoid oxidation". But just over an hour later, you are going to oxygenate the wort prior to pitching yeast. Is there really a problem with oxygen getting into the wort at this point?

Jim

The concern is aeration when the wort is hot. When you aerate the wort prior to fermentation, its cold.

Your wort is between 125 and 150 F coming to your kettle. Aeration at this point would be considered "hot side aeration" and this is what Palmer was recommending to avoid.

You're worried about oxidation of the wort. You should absolutely try to avoid splashing or any other oxygen pickup while the wort is hot. Oxidation will cause a dry cardboard flavor in your beer.

Same goes for this batch sparging I've been reading about. Your wort will oxidize, no matter what people say. And it will affect your flavor.

Most people here no longer seem to worry about hot side aeration. I know I don't. I've been carefull to avoid it in the past, and I have also totally disregarded it and just poured buckets of hot wort into the kettle. I've never noticed a difference in the final beer.

I brewed for several years before I ever heard of hot side aeration. For all those years I splashed hot wort like a crazy woman and never had HSA. I know it can happen in commercial breweries but I'm in the "homebrewers don't need to worry about it" camp.

You're worried about oxidation of the wort. You should absolutely try to avoid splashing or any other oxygen pickup while the wort is hot. Oxidation will cause a dry cardboard flavor in your beer.

This is complete nonsense. Do you have any idea how many people here batch sparge? Do you know how many people here batch sparge and have no off flavors from oxidation?

Latest posts

Back