Dumb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
So I want to brew some all-grain recipes from "Brew Like a Monk." However, I am confused how to do so with their recipes as they do not give weights of the ingredients. Rather they give percentage of each ingredient and target OG and FG. Does this mean I have to have a program (ie promash) and plug the numbers in? Are there are any free web based calculators to do so (I have an apple and promash not compatible with)?

Thanks

hmmmmmmmm... that calculator also asks you to plug in the weight rather than percentage...

Would it work to enter the percents as weight (e.g, if it's 92% pilsner malt, enter 92 lbs), then use an OG correction tool to get the correct OG, which would scale the whole grist bill down. I think Beersmith can work like this.

Do you have a hard copy of How to Brew? He explains how to make these calculation on Pages 190-195. I was going to try and explain it but I realized that I don't have a complete grasp on it. Last thing I want to do is confuse someone with bad info.:mug:

Beer Calculus is free.

You would have to plug it in the same way I use beersmith. Add in all the ingredients, then adjust the weight until it shows the correct (or close to it) percentage of each malt/adjunct. Very easy, and no math involved.

thanks for all the replies! Should be able to pump out some good beer from these recipes now...

Back