Pine Mash Paddles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefranciotti

Reaction score
So after the recent hurricane here, I lost a huge pine tree and would like to put the remains to good use. I was thinking of making either one mash paddle or a few (depending on how time consuming the job is) and I'm curious if pine is an ok wood to use...

Any insight?

That's a whole lot of work for something you can buy for $4 at home depot...and since you are HD, you may as well go over to the next aisle and buy the maple or oak board for not much more money.

After my possibly rude link-rather-than-reply, I encourage you to make your mash paddle out of your pine. I would. If you have any "pine-sap off-flavor" in a finished beer, I will be very impressed at the virility of your tree. Post a picture when you get 'er done.

It's all good, I should have searched prior to my post. I read the thread you linked and I definitely plan on giving it a go.

Broadbill, I completely see your point, however, I have a bunch of stumps just sitting outside which I'd rather put to use and I enjoy stuff like this so it's a win-win... My neighbor lost an enormous maple tree also, which I chopped up and kept for firewood. I may take a stump from that tree as well, and make another paddle.

I'll post up if/when I get this project finished.

It's all good, I should have searched prior to my post. I read the thread you linked and I definitely plan on giving it a go.

Broadbill, I completely see your point, however, I have a bunch of stumps just sitting outside which I'd rather put to use and I enjoy stuff like this so it's a win-win... My neighbor lost an enormous maple tree also, which I chopped up and kept for firewood. I may take a stump from that tree as well, and make another paddle.

I'll post up if/when I get this project finished.

My vote would be for the maple all day everyday. The pine would be easier to work with, so maybe you can start there and get your process down.

True, again only reason for the pine is because I've got nothing else to do with it. I'll probably do what you suggest and make a few attempts out of the pine, maybe decorative pieces or something, then final functional product out of maple.

mike i did the same thing. I made my first mash paddle out of pallet wood (most likely pine) to test my concept. I then made my first out of Maple.

Back