Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megatrom

Reaction score
I'd like to consider myself an experienced extract/partial mash brewer. I have a few all grain batches under my belt, until now I have ignored the notion of starters, really don't know why. I always assumed a smack pack should cover it. That being said, I now understand the importance. I made a stir plate using info posted here (thank you by the way). My question is this: I have a 2L flask, my starting gravity calls for a 3L starter. I have come across different info but am still a little confused. Do I make a 2L starter, allow it to fully cycle, decant it, then ad 1L allow it to also fully ferment, decant, then pitch that slurry? Am I just screwed for getting too small of a flask? This whole process is new to me, so any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is this a ale or a lager? Five gallons I'm assuming? I'm calculating you'll be good with a 1.5 liter starter on a stir plate if it's a ale. You'll need 264 billion cells and that should get you over 270.

http://www.yeastcalc.com/

^I like this yeast calculator BTW.

I guess I skipped some specifics. It's a 5 gal ale. Denny conns' wry smile rye ipa to be exact. Using wyeast 1450 (Denny's favorite) which my LHBS Doesnt carry. I had to order it, so I want to get it right the first time. I was using brewbot (an app on my iPhone) its obviously not very accurate. It's calling for 345.381 billion cells.

Do check out Yeastcalc.com. I make all my starters in a 2L flask. I also freeze yeast and make step starters from just 5ml of yeast.

I run a small weak starter, chill and decant, make a larger 1.040 starter, chill and decant again, then repeat as often as necessary for my current beer.

So I can harvest just a small amount of yeast from my primary and freeze it until I'm ready for a new starter?

So I can harvest just a small amount of yeast from my primary and freeze it until I'm ready for a new starter?

Well, you'll need to look a little more into the process than that but you can freeze yeast but it's not that simple. First you should wash/rinse it, then you need to use a solution part water, part glycerin. You need to sterilize everything. It's kind of a PITA but you can check out this link if you're really interested.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Freezing_yeast

I guess I skipped some specifics. It's a 5 gal ale. Denny conns' wry smile rye ipa to be exact. Using wyeast 1450 (Denny's favorite) which my LHBS Doesnt carry. I had to order it, so I want to get it right the first time. I was using brewbot (an app on my iPhone) its obviously not very accurate. It's calling for 345.381 billion cells.

You're in for a treat with that beer by the way!

until now I have ignored the notion of starters, really don't know why. I always assumed a smack pack should cover it. That being said, I now understand the importance.

Explain how you now understand the importance? You sound as if research, experience, and intuition have taken you to an understanding, yet you don't explain it :(

I like my dry yeasties

I ALWAYS make a 3 qt. starter for that beer with that yeast. I use a gal. glass jug for it.

ThePonchoKid said:
Explain how you now understand the importance? You sound as if research, experience, and intuition have taken you to an understanding, yet you don't explain it :(

I like my dry yeasties

I understand because every question regarding problems with different brew sessions I have ever asked other homebrewers has always been immediately responded with 'did you make a starter?' or 'how big of a starter did you make?' as far as research goes I just went back through my homebrew library and read all of the chapters on yeast propagation I had skipped previously. Then googled yeast propagation. Then searched YouTube for yeast propagation. As far as experience goes in my OP I stated that I am new to starters, so I have none. I'm not big on intuition, usually just gets me into trouble.

Denny said:
I ALWAYS make a 3 qt. starter for that beer with that yeast. I use a gal. glass jug for it.

5 gallon batches included? Being your recipe kinda makes you the authority.

I prefer the yeastcalc site as well and I too made a 3L starter for that beer, BtW its awesome as I sit here drinking a pint of it now!

Holy krausen batman, I pitched a 2l starter of wyeast Denny's favorite into 5 gal of this rye and I am scared of this fermentation. It's barely been 24 hrs and I have had to dump the jug my blow off tube ends in twice (1/2 gallon growler with about 1" of clean water to begin with) this last one I dumped looked like a starter there was do much krausen in it. I swear the beer growls at me when I walk in the room.

Back