Building Brutus 10 to fit Boilermaker Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheezer

Reaction score
I have two 15 gallon boilermakers and am purchasing a 20 gallon third with the intent to build a brutus 10. Has anyone built a similar set up? If so what were the frame dimensions of the brutus? Given the stepped bottom of the boilermakers, 12 inches as specified by Lonnie is too big for the 15 gallon boilermakers to fit on with the stepped bottoms. Does anyone have any suggestions for the size of the cross beams, and how far appart the beams should be from eachother? Should the beams for the 20 gallon be spaced differently than the beams for the 15's? I am just starting the fabrication on the frame, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for the suggestion. ahhhhh. I have so many questions. So the MT and HLT spacing is 10x12 then? Or is it 10 inches square? If you brought in the dimensions for the 15 gallon vessels, is there more spacing between cross beams to compensate? What kind of burners are you using? Does 10 inches give them enough room? How is the spacing between vessels? Tight? I do appoligize for so many questions. It is because I am reworking the dimensions of the brutus and I don't want to piss away all this time and money. I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Jeez people overthink EVERYTHING during these builds. 10x12 and it all works great. All you do is adjust the center beams accordingly. No other dimensional changes are necessary.

photo-2.jpg

Edit: Sorry I don't mean to come off as a dick, I'm in a bit of a bad mood this AM. But seriously don't overthink it. This stuff is easy and since you are mid build, you have the option to change whatever you want to accomodate your goals. I didn't use a lot of the ideas Lonnie posted as I found them inadequate or just not right for me (Stainless frame, that POS regulator he specs from MoreBeer, etc).

I'n building one right now with 15 gallon boilermakers. Agree with whats above, just adjust the center beams to 10" spacing, the rest should work.

Thank you for your input. I think I may buy some cheap pieces of pine to fabricate a test set up. I'm impressed Irrenarzt. Beautiful system. The only thing I was worried about was the spacing between the vessels. I appreciate your help. I will post some pictures when I am further along.

No sweat, glad to help. Hope it comes out nice for you. The kettle spacing isn't critical. You just don't want them too close or too far apart but Lonnies dimensions are pretty nice as they are designed for the wider diameter kettles he shows. The Boilermakers are smaller diameter so there is some room for adjustment.

I didn't use a lot of the ideas Lonnie posted as I found them inadequate or just not right for me (Stainless frame, that POS regulator he specs from MoreBeer, etc).

Wow Dude, I am standing right here. :)

Yep, looks like you used pretty much 95% of my ideas verbatim...

Lonnie, I have a few quick questions. The first is what is the diameter of your kettles? The second is are there other asco valves I can use that are widely available such as the 8210g94 or 8215g20? Thanks.

Just measured my stand that I built for my 15 gallon boilermakers and the dimensions for each kettle are 13" square to the outer edge. I used 1.5" wide steel. so its 10" square to the inner edges. Hope that helps. Also, I remember seeing on here somewhere the part number for the same asco valve but in brass instead of stainless. The brass version is much cheaper and more easily available. I can;t recall the model number, but you should be able to find it by searching the forums.

I should ask were the 13 inch squares from the outer edge 2 inches apart. I know I am overthinking this whole process, but I can't help it. :) Thanks!

Wow Dude, I am standing right here. :)

Yep, looks like you used pretty much 95% of my ideas verbatim...

Wasn't meant as a diss to you at all Lonnie. Yours is simply the first generation, others are going to have small improvements. You are the forefather and nothing is gonna change that.

95% is perhaps an over-estimate. I did not use SS, no internal gas beam, different conduit layout, no internal routing, different wiring scheme than you posted, different regulator, different pilot configs/lines etc. But yes, yours was inspirational and you deserve credit. My build was based directly on your BYO article. I merely made small improvements based on my system layout. A good example would be the control panel beam. I ran it out straight instead of a 45 as that made more sense for a weldless frame. Every improvement I made for my system was thought out for my arrangement and in a way pays homage to yours. The bottom line is people should not panic and they should put some thought into THEIR system and what best works for them. Evolution of the species...

I actually didn't measure that. I just made two 10/13" squares on each end, then centered the middle square. But my stand is 48" long so, that makes them about 4.5" apart (from the outer edge of the squares).

Wasn't meant as a diss to you at all Lonnie. Yours is simply the first generation, others are going to have small improvements. You are the forefather and nothing is gonna change that.

95% is perhaps an over-estimate. I did not use SS, no internal gas beam, different conduit layout, no internal routing, different wiring scheme than you posted, different regulator, different pilot configs/lines etc. But yes, yours was inspirational and you deserve credit. My build was based directly on your BYO article. I merely made small improvements based on my system layout. A good example would be the control panel beam. I ran it out straight instead of a 45 as that made more sense for a weldless frame. Every improvement I made for my system was thought out for my arrangement and in a way pays homage to yours. The bottom line is people should not panic and they should put some thought into THEIR system and what best works for them. Evolution of the species...

Ha! :)
I know you weren't dissing... Just keep in mind that I have spent the better part of the last 5 years, and actually the 5 years before that with, well, Brutus 5, trying to help people make a BETTER Brutus than I own. So no one here knows that better than I do my friend... And I am NOT king. Look on my website and see all the great systems that people across the world have fabricated. They are the kings! And BTW, yours is there as well on the front page I believe...

So frankly, if we are to cobble together a great looking brew stand such as you and I have done, let's play nice when someone else needs our assistance... Because even five years later now, I have 4 emails to answer just tonight about Brutus...

Pretty soon he will be showing someone else how to build a brew stand too... :)

I still dont see my "20" on your page Lonnie

OMG!

Let me get that done! I have been meaning to my friend... This stupid program I have in photoshop makes me do the entire pic site over just to add one pic to it... Takes about an hour... I'll do it this weekend! I have about 13 in the que including yours! :)

OMG!

Let me get that done! I have been meaning to my friend... This stupid program I have in photoshop makes me do the entire pic site over just to add one pic to it... Takes about an hour... I'll do it this weekend! I have about 13 in the que including yours! :)

Didnt realize it was that much work... looking forward to it, thanks for inspiring us all.

Wheezer, how did the stand come out? I'm getting ready to build the sane setup and I was wondering what your dimensions ended up being.

Back