Characterization of Polyphenol Composition of 20 cultivars of apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
Characterization of Polyphenol Composition of 20 cultivars of cider, processing and dessert apples grown in Virginia. Dept food science and technology, VPI. by Katerine A. Thompson-Witrick. From the abstract it looks like they examined a lot of different apples for the tannins etc.

Published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. sept 17 2014. Not sure how to get a copy of this online.
WVMJ

Characterization of Polyphenol Composition of 20 cultivars of cider, processing and dessert apples grown in Virginia. Dept food science and technology, VPI. by Katerine A. Thompson-Witrick. From the abstract it looks like they examined a lot of different apples for the tannins etc.

Published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. sept 17 2014. Not sure how to get a copy of this online.
WVMJ

I'd be interested in seeing that. I don't know much about Virginia and the cultivars grown, but I am sure that some would be familiar to me or close to the ones I have available to grow.

I'd be interested in seeing that. I don't know much about Virginia and the cultivars grown, but I am sure that some would be familiar to me or close to the ones I have available to grow.

So, I was able to access the article through my undergrad university's library website. I won't post the whole thing so as to steer clear of any copyright issues. However, the 20 cultivars examined by the paper included:

Black Twig, Enterprise, Fuji (BC2), Golden Delicious, Gold Rush, Granny Smith, Idared, Jonagold, New-town Pippin, Pilot, Cripps Pink (Pink Lady), Red Delicious (Bisbee), Rome (Taylor), Stayman, Suncrisp, Virginia Gold, Winesap, and York (Red Yorking).

So, I was able to access the article through my undergrad university's library website. I won't post the whole thing so as to steer clear of any copyright issues. However, the 20 cultivars examined by the paper included:

Black Twig, Enterprise, Fuji (BC2), Golden Delicious, Gold Rush, Granny Smith, Idared, Jonagold, New-town Pippin, Pilot, Cripps Pink (Pink Lady), Red Delicious (Bisbee), Rome (Taylor), Stayman, Suncrisp, Virginia Gold, Winesap, and York (Red Yorking).

Polyphenol is what we would refer to (perhaps less accurately) as tannin/tannic acid, right?

Snowden, would you be willing to summarise and post some headline numbers to match the different cultivars? I imagine that constitutes fair use if it's been properly attributed.

Have you been to Distillery Lane Ciderworks over in Frederick county Maryland near Burkitsville yet? They grow their own real cider apples and will sell what they press as cidermakers cider. We got some of their last pressed apples last year full of russets, extremely good stuff. We are going to plant some Staymans this year, I think we are warm enough around here to grow them well. I think you guys might be in 6b which might even be a little better for them. WVMJ

I'm very interested to hear more about this. I live next door in Maryland. ....

Hey everyone. Quick update: I emailed the primary author, Katherine Witrick, who now works at Sweetwater Brewing. She graciously gave me permission to post a copy of her paper to the forums. Only problem is that the PDF is too large to attach! I guess the next best thing will be to send me a PM with your email address and I will email the paper to you!

I invited Katherine to join the forum, as I am sure she will be able to provide more insight into her research and the results. She said she will try to create a login soon. Hopefully we will see her in the near future!

Have you been to Distillery Lane Ciderworks over in Frederick county Maryland near Burkitsville yet? They grow their own real cider apples and will sell what they press as cidermakers cider. We got some of their last pressed apples last year full of russets, extremely good stuff. We are going to plant some Staymans this year, I think we are warm enough around here to grow them well. I think you guys might be in 6b which might even be a little better for them. WVMJ

It has been on my list of things to do for months and months! However, family, work, life in general have kept me from taking the trip. Wonder if they let you purchase the apples? I am curious about the difference in taste from the apples we used to get at our local orchard back in New England. I have yet to taste better cider!

Yes they do sell apples, even better, they press the apples in season and sell both a sweet cider to drink and a cidermakers cider to make hard cider from. You are like only an hour away:) WVMJ

Back