BELGIAN SAISON / SOUR MIX Cider Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
I am looking to make a Cider but the yeast I want to use is from my currently fermenting Saison. After primary with Belgian Saison yeast I added Belgian Sour Mix 1. Upon bottling my Saison I would like to add my Saison / Sour yeast to my Cider mix for fermentation. Any Ideas on if this is a good idea or if someone has done a similar thing? I like to shoot from the hip most times and come up with things out of the ordinary... Thats my disclaimer...

Never tried what you are doing but ... are you adding brett to the apple juice? You first added yeast to the beer and then added the brett (if the second addition was brett) giving you some control over the impact of the brett, but now you are adding this brett to the cider... with a complete loss of any control.. That may be shooting from the hip but it sounds more like playing Russian Roulette.

A similar discussion about doing something very similar occurred in a cider making forum just the other day and the idea raised eyebrows amongst world class cider makers. Of course if the Belgian sour has nothing to do with Brett or lacto please ignore my response.

"WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1
A unique blend perfect for Belgian style beers. Includes Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus."

As bernardsmith alluded to, the balance of yeast to bacteria will be significantly different than in your saison. Depending on how long it has been sitting in your saison, it might turn out great. The longer the bacteria have been working, the larger their populations will be.

go for it. There is a cider mill around me where he uses natural yeast from the apples and brett. Tasted decent.

No updates on this one yet. The yeast is still happy and chomping away. I did in the end make this a Cyser. I started with a gravity of 1.120 so it may take a while.

Back