Primary fermentation only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatsGoodHead

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been brewing all grain for about a year now with both successes and failures but always a good time. Love brew day!

My question is(bare with me if this is a dumb question): I know that I don't HAVE to secondary, but can I primary only in a plastic bucket with a non-air tight lid? Or will that cause oxidization? Any info would be appreciated. I plan on using carboys but I have some already made in a 20gal bucket and was wondering if I HAD to transfer it. Cheers

Thanks a bunch, all I needed. I am doing this primary only thing from posts I have read from you, so thanks again, looking forward to the results!

ThatsGoodHead said:
with a non-air tight lid?

That's the only part that raised my eyebrows. If it's not airtight, eventually you will have oxidation issues. Might require some experimentation to figure that out.

Is there a reason it is not air tight?

That's the only part that raised my eyebrows. If it's not airtight, eventually you will have oxidation issues. Might require some experimentation to figure that out.

Is there a reason it is not air tight?

I think he considers an airlock as not being airtight.

Because NO fermenter is ever airtight. You never want one to be, unless you like beer on the ceiling.

If it is air locked, great - just wasn't sure if we were talking about an open fermenter or a loose lid or and airlock.

Some people, even professional brewers ferment in OPEN vessels.

At one brewery in Northern Michigan they use open fermenters and last summer I noticed they have stretched Plastic Wrap across the tops to keep the flies out. (I highly doubt this was effective as I could see some small openings from where I was standing on the other side of the glass wall.)

The fermenter I use has a "Burp" type lid. No airlock and not airtight. Never had a problem with oxidation even after 10 weeks.

As Revvy states in POST #2 "If you don't mess with them, don't keep opening them, then yo're not violating the co2 space in there."

bosco

Some people, even professional brewers ferment in OPEN vessels.

At one brewery in Northern Michigan they use open fermenters and last summer I noticed they have stretched Plastic Wrap across the tops to keep the flies out. (I highly doubt this was effective as I could see some small openings from where I was standing on the other side of the glass wall.)

I can't remember, is that Right Brain? I just saw on the cover of the Michigan Beer Guide that they moved.

No, North Peak. RBB did move. They are still in town, but in a MUCH bigger place. more of a nightclub when I went in just before they reopened. Russ had a great story about how the state worked with him to get him licensed all over again...

Russ said they planned on having a quieter area in there too, for the people who enjoyed the old atmosphere, but I don't know if that is still the plan or if it's been put in place yet.

They don't use open fermenters at RBB.

I know Anchor Steam is made with open fermenters too. So is Jolly Pumpkin and although they have issues with wild yeast (meaning that is how they brew), I'm not sure they have an issue with oxidation.

Real answer to OP - nope, you don't have to transfer.

Smart a$$ answer to everyone else:

Got it. I stand corrected. No lid required. No airlock required. Keep it in the primary fermentation vessel as long as you want. No problem.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the replies! It's not airtight because it is a 20gallon liquid sugar bucket with an improper lid resting on the top. Fly proof but I'm sure it's not airtight. Still good to go?

Back