what the HE** did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed a stout recipe a few weeks back.

6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.50 %
2.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 20.77 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 10.38 %
0.13 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 1.35 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 35.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

It became clear to me that my LHBS forgot to crack the roasted barley for me. It's certainly not a stout.

I'm now enjoying this beer, but curious what "style" it might be.

right now, I'm calling it "weird beer".

I seem to recall, this was my tweak of biermuncher's stout recipe: (not so sure why I used the windsor, but I know that I used fuggles because it was what was available)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/all-grain-ode-arthur-irish-stout-guinness-clone-28239/

You made beer.

As far as style, BJCP Style 23 - Specialty Beer.

BJCP 2008 Style Guide said:
This is explicitly a catch-all category for any beer that does not fit into an existing style category. No beer is ever “out of style” in this category, unless it fits elsewhere.

Your grainbill reads like a dry stout (with the exception of the acidulated malt, of course). How strongly did the acid malt come through in the flavor? Sounds like an interesting addition.

What's the color like?

well, it was supposed to be a dry stout, but without the roasted barley, it came out in the brown color range, rather than black.

yes, you can taste the acid malt, and the hops are light - it would make a great stout, but seems more like a pale ale in terms of color, but the hops are too little.

It's just a weird beer, not bad, but nothing I'm proud of either.

I think I would try adding a touch of acid malt to a normal pale ale recipe - maybe make an IPA with a bit of a bite.

Latest posts

Back