5 gallon keg in bottom of garage fridge ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic rev

Reaction score
I don't have the money to buy a kegerator yet so would it be okay to put a 5 gallon keg and co 2 tank in the bottom of my garage fridge. Is 40 degrees cold enough to keep the tank? I would take out the vege drawers out for this and lay it sideways because the rest of the fridge is used for soda and water bottles. I have not bought any equiptment yet so I thought I would ask beforehamd

That's fine, except for the "lay it sideways" part. Kegs are designed to sit upright, and the dip tube reaches right down to the bottom. It would sort of work if you placed the keg with the liquid connection down, but you wouldn't get all the beer out. Placing it at an angle would be better, but far from ideal.

How about finding some 2.5 or 3 gallon kegs? They are harder to find and therefore more expensive, but seem to fit your needs better. OTOH, for the price of one or two of these rare kegs, you could almost certainly find a used fridge that would hold four or more full-sized kegs. (Or a chest freezer, but then you need a controller too.)

I don't have the money to buy a kegerator yet so would it be okay to put a 5 gallon keg and co 2 tank in the bottom of my garage fridge. Is 40 degrees cold enough to keep the tank? I would take out the vege drawers out for this and lay it sideways because the rest of the fridge is used for soda and water bottles. I have not bought any equiptment yet so I thought I would ask beforehamd

You could take out all the shelves, build some wooden ones out of plywood to fit around the upright keg and tank, and still store all your water and soda. If you have to lay the keg on its side, you're definitely not going to get all of the beer out, unfortunately, but you *could* take the keg out and stand it upright to dispense when you're at the bottom. You might get a bit more yeast at that point, since you'll be sloshing things around, but that would allow you to get the last bit.

Back