For My Second Batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
I've decided to use two cans of the Coopers Kits (Real Ale) instead of one kit and some DME. Just wanted to know if anyone has yielded better results using this method. Also, using 2 Coopers kits should I make my final volume 5 or 6 U.S. gallons? A couple of other quick questions:

1. Each Coopers can comes with 7g dried pure brewer's yeast, should I use just one packet or both packets?

2. The dried yeast that comes with it, should I rehydrate it and, if so, in how much water do I rehydrate it and for how long do I let it sit before pitching it?

3. I am desperate to read a good book on home brewing that covers both the basics and some advanced techniques as I am sure I will graduate to all grain brewing eventually. Is there some kind of bible out there that is considered a good first read on the subject? Thanks for all your help! My first batch is coming along great thanks to you guys, haha.

Joe

RiversC174 said:
I've decided to use two cans of the Coopers Kits (Real Ale) instead of one kit and some DME. Just wanted to know if anyone has yielded better results using this method. Also, using 2 Coopers kits should I make my final volume 5 or 6 U.S. gallons? A couple of other quick questions:

1. Each Coopers can comes with 7g dried pure brewer's yeast, should I use just one packet or both packets?

2. The dried yeast that comes with it, should I rehydrate it and, if so, in how much water do I rehydrate it and for how long do I let it sit before pitching it?

3. I am desperate to read a good book on home brewing that covers both the basics and some advanced techniques as I am sure I will graduate to all grain brewing eventually. Is there some kind of bible out there that is considered a good first read on the subject? Thanks for all your help! My first batch is coming along great thanks to you guys, haha.

Joe

As for the kits, I really don't know. I'm sure someone else can give you some guidance there.

As for reading, www.howtobrew.com is a great free online resource.

You could go with the coopers LME only giving you about 1.050 for an OG. The only think I'm not sure about is the hops. I don't know if 2 cans combined of hopped extract would be too much IBUs.

Throw away the yeast that comes with the cans of extract. Purchase a good strain of liquid or dry yeast from your LHBS.

I will always recommend The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian. This is the book that hooked me on home brewing and it did it before I brewed my first batch. It has good information from the beginner to the advanced brewer. I have literally wore the cover off my copy!

Sorry about the posting in two different forums, I thought it would have been more appropriate in the beginners brewing forum, wont happen again. Another quick question, what are IBUs and what kind of/how much yeast should I get for my ale? Also, If 2 cans of hopped malt extract is too much should I just use 2 or 3 pounds of DME instead of another can of hopped malt extract? Thanks, and sorry again about the double post.

Joe

there are tons of yeast strains available (in liquid form), so what kind to use is hard to answer. It's essentially one more ingredient choice in a recipe. I use irish ale yeast for my stout, scottish ale yeast for my scottish, london ale for my porter.

If you're using dry yeast, there (typically) are fewer options available, but you might be able to find some specific strains in dry form... usually dry yeast packets are usually just tagged with a manufacturer name and the type; ale or lager.

How much yeast?

For dry, I would use about 10 to 12 grams. (two little packets, normally). This used to be my method.

For liquid yeasts, you *could* toss in one vial or bag (whatever yours comes in), but you'll get better results by doing someting called "making a yeast starter". Search this forum for more on that topic.... there are volumes of it here.

Personally, I would use one can of your hopped LME and another 3 lbs of DME, as you mentioned. You never know how much hoppiness is in that can, but the assumption should probably be that one can has enough for one batch. If you're a beginner, use dry yeast, but not the (potentially ancient) stuff that came with the kit. Buy some 'fresh' dried yeast... (how's that for an oxymoron?:))

I hope that helps....

-walker

That Safale dried yeast is pretty good. It comes in various types depending on the beer. You should consider instead of 2 cans of Coopers an ingredient kit that comes with extract, hops, priming sugar and usually pretty good directions. It ain't difficult.

Back