Made some Feta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomhog

Reaction score
I made another batch of feta this weekend. It always turns out soooo good. But I think the next time I will put some extras in it. Maybe tomato-basil, cracked pepper-garlic, garlic-basil. I am also going to make some more gouda. This time I will smoke it. I smoked some farmhouse cheddar and it turned out well. Still a little leary on trying the "blue gouda" but it does sound interesting. I have two one-pound wheels of gouda and two one-pound wheels of farmhouse cheddar in my cave now. I need to get more in there because if I run out of room I will need a bigger and better cave.

I use the recipe from Fiaso Co Farm's website www.fiascofarm.com. They have a great cheese making section. It also has the tutorial you are looking for. I use store bought milk and add the calcium chloride. I use two gallons 2% and add 1 pint heavy cream. I don't brine mine. It lasts a long time if I keep it in a container vacuum sealed. Sometimes I just put it in a freezer bag and throw it in the freezer. My feta turns out great every time.

The Fias Co Farm site also has plans for a homemade cheese press the looks pretty easy.

I use the recipe from Fiaso Co Farm's website www.fiascofarm.com. They have a great cheese making section. It also has the tutorial you are looking for. I use store bought milk and add the calcium chloride. I use two gallons 2% and add 1 pint heavy cream. I don't brine mine. It lasts a long time if I keep it in a container vacuum sealed. Sometimes I just put it in a freezer bag and throw it in the freezer. My feta turns out great every time.

Have you compared it to real Greek feta?

In Finland, I am pretty much limited to buying packaged Greek feta and it's OK. Every time I visit Greece, I buy feta from the deli counter in supermarkets - they keep it in large barrels, in huge chunks, soaking in brine and just cut you off a big slab and wrap it in butcher's paper then throw a plastic bag around it. The taste of that stuff is amazing, amazing, amazing.

Local creamery, one of my suppliers, uses a brine at 20% salinity with a pH of 4.5 to 4.8. Seems to last forever, getting tastier (to me) with age. Hope you find this helpful.

Back