Repitching on yeast cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
Sometime in the middle of last week I racked over my SNPA clone to dry hop in my BB secondary. I already have my next ale kit ready to go and I wanted to brew it this past weekend and pitch right onto the yeast cake. When racking, I left a layer or wort on top of the cake and immediately resealed the lid and airlocked it up. It's been sitting like that since mid last week. I figured a few days wouldn't hurt any since it's all still sanitized.

I'm not going to get the chance to brew again until this weekend. Is my yeast cake good or should I wash the yeast and try to make a starter to get the yeast going again? I don't want to pitch onto a yeast cake and have autolisys(sp?) set in.

The best place for yeast is under beer. Ideally it would be best if the yeast were stored in a cold environment, say 33-38f. This prevents then from exhausting their glycol reserves, and inhbits bacterial growth.
You should check for the viability of your yeast prior to pitching on the cake.

You can make a starter to check the viability. I didn't bother on this batch. Either the yeast was going to work just fine or I had a pack of dry yeast to throw in if it never started fermenting.

Yes, the yeast cake is part of the 'sludge' at the bottom of the primary fermentor. This yeast was highly flocculant(sp) and created a dense yeast cake that I had to try and get stirred up. It took longer than expected to take off but I reached my FG after about a week.

Back