First Yeast Starter Questions and Blowoff Tube Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm plan on making my first yeast starter this week. I'm brewing the NB Dead Ringer IPA Extract Kit. I went to my LHBS and picked up some extra light DME and a 1000ml flask.

I think I have the basics of it down, but I'm confused as to how much to make. I have 1lb of DME and I will be using the one packet of Safale US-05. The kit yields 5 gallons. I have several extracts under my belt, but this is the first time doing a yeast starter. I don’t have a scale, so I’d prefer to use the measuring cup method for my DME. How much DME should I use? I’m assuming that regardless of how much DME I use, I should put the whole packet of yeast in the starter, correct?

Also, in the past, I’ve never used a blow off tube. I use a plastic primary and never had any issues. However, I think I want to use one for this, just in case, as I’m not familiar with this brew and the yeast starter makes me nervous. My question is this: what does the other end of the blow off tube go into? An empty bucket or a liquid (starsan?) filled one? IF it’s filled with liquid, I would be worried about a siphon effect, sucking the liquid back into the primary.

Thanks!

I am preparing to make my first yeast starter with my next batch so I anxiously await responses to this. I am planning on using 1/2 cup of light DME and 2/3 cup water (which I am told will make 1.040 starter)

Yes to the entire packet of yeast.

Other end of the blowoff tube goes into jar or bucket of StarSan.
As far as suction effect, not really possible because of the amount of pressure that would be needed to suction back into your beer.
As long as you sanitize the entire blow off tube, even if it sucked StarSan back into the beer, you would still not have a problem.

Yep, you don't need a starter with dry yeast. You can rehydrate it if you want, but you don't need a starter- it should already have plenty of viable cells. One packet of US-05 should be fine for an OG of 1.060. I've pitched one packet for beers up to around 1.065 and had good results.

Back