Low OG - yes i read the FAQ - due to filtering wort/whirlfloc??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beestin

Reaction score
Hi i've made my 2nd LME kit and they say the OG should be 1.066. I know from my first kit that the OG can be off d/t mixing, reading from top/bottom of the bucket, etc, etc, etc. The first beer i had was way over and now this one is way under at 1.052?! I made sure to mix the hell out of it by pouring back/forth numerous times and took my readings from the top but its showing 1.052. There is a TON of gunk in the bottom of the hydrometer testing tube but i assume this is due to using a whirlfloc tab.

Could filtering the wort (while pouring into the bucket), using the whirlfloc tab, and/or using a wort chiller this time (cooled from 212 to 78 in about 14 min) make the difference as to why i have such a low reading?

Is this a bad thing?

...or should i just chaulk it up to "OG reading error"

If you steep at a proper temperature, add the proper amounts of extract, and end up with the proper volume in the fermenter, there is really no way to be off by more than ~5 gravity points (i.e. +/-0.005 to your SG) in an extract & steeping grains recipe. It's also nearly impossible to fully mix the wort from a partial boil before fermentation, so the low reading is probably due to taking the sample from the top.

I wouldn't worry about it. That's not bad unless you're intentionally shooting for something heavier.

I've just started too. My second batch is fermenting right now. It's a 2-gallon Mr. Beer American Light HME kit (I already had it) to which I added steeped grains (1/2 lb of 75L crystal) and a half pound of light golden DME (plus a hop addition, I'll dry hop it as well). I'm quite content to get an OG of 1.046. I'm sure the extra DME helped a lot.

Back