Wheat beer - secondary and priming questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacks13

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Sam Summer Ale, a clone recipe I got off of this site. Half the extract is Wheat.

Anyway I've had in primary for about 2 weeks and krausen is down after 4-5 day fermentation and 6-7 days since then. Should I go to a secondary for a wheat beer?

On a related note, if I do go to a secondary I may need to rack to bottle straight from that secondary without the use of a bottling bucket. Can I just stir the priming sugar into the secondary when it comes time to bottle?

thans guys!

I didn't secondary my hefe; 16 days in the primary and it turned out great so I'd say it's not necessary. You're not looking for clearing with a hefe.

I would use a bottling bucket if you have one. Makes mixing the priming sugar in much easier and will distribute the sugar more evenly.

Roterdrache said:
I didn't secondary my hefe; 16 days in the primary and it turned out great so I'd say it's not necessary. You're not looking for clearing with a hefe.
Me either, it didn't seem neccessary so just be careful when racking to the bottling bucket. I let mine in the primary for 14 days.

I did a dunkelweizen a couple of months back and just let it go in primary for 2 weeks and went straight to the bottling bucket. Came out awesome. I'm going to get a hefeweizen going later this week and plan on doing the same.

First off, you're not brewing a hefe. It's an American Wheat. ;)

I say -1-2 weeks in the primary followed by 2 weeks in the secondary for clearing.

You are going to get more clearing in the secondary so rack to a bottling bucket. If you stir up all the yeast that's been dropping out you'll just make the brew cloudy again. ;)

Back