What is this evil looking sludge floating and suspended in my secodary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xgarland77x

Reaction score
So I added some brewed tea to my secondary and what looks like a beige sludge is floating/ suspending which will sort of break up if I bump the carboy, any ideas...

Protein that came up from the bottom when I poured the tea in...

Sorry forgot the pic

image-712645355.jpg

Hmmm.... did you add anything beside tea to the secondary and did this show up as soon as you added the tea, or did it take a while to show up?

I personally did not add any sugar and the tea tasted as bland as could be, no hint of sugar what-so-ever. But, there could be small amount of sugar in the apricot flowers...doesn't really look like krausen (bubbles from the tea) up top there, hopefully by tomorrow morning it all goes back down to the depths where it belongs...

Looks similar to what developed during fermentation during the only brew I have used Irish Moss in.

djfriesen said:
Looks similar to what developed during fermentation during the only brew I have used Irish Moss in.

That was my thought. I see this from time to time when using whirlfloc in a light colored beer. Coagulated proteins and such that tend to fall out of suspension once the yeasties get going from my experience.

I was planning on keging it on Saturday...should I wait to see if the chunks fall or just try to dodge them?

Back