Higher final gravity than expected, two batches in a row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivepoundpossum

Reaction score
i've been having problems recently with my beer not fermenting to the final gravity beersmith estimates. for example, the following amber (more like a pale ale, actually): beersmith estimates the FG to be 1.012, but after a month, i'm still at 1.017.

the fermentation temp was between 68-72 throughout. i racked it after 10 days (just read about leaving it in primary for the duration and plan on trying that next time), at which point the bubbling had pretty much stopped. i realize that might have slowed the remaining fermentation down. i've had similar problems with a couple other batches.

ideas? thanks!

Valhalla, Hall of the Glorious Dead Amber--all-Centennial Amber (December 2011)
Schedule: Brew 12/3, pitched yeast 12/4 (at 59f), Dry hopped 12/17-
Gravity: 12/3: 1.051; 12/9: 1.021; 1/4 :1.017
Boil size: 3.5g, topped to 5g
IBU: 31.2

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 6.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %
1 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min](8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 13.3 %
5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 1066.7 %-added at 0 min
0.25 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 10.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 12.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 7.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1 oz Centennial dry hop
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05

.005 difference isn't far off if you ask me. You probably couldn't taste much of a difference, but that may just be me.

RDWHAHB!

I'd wager that 1.017 is terminal.

Extract already has some unfermentables in it and you added 1.5# of crystal. I would've predicted 1.020 for a FG.

A different yeast could easily account for that gravity difference. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, I like a slightly higher FG. When it's done, it's done... don't stress on it. If the beer tastes good, that is the ONLY thing that matters

The gallon marks on fermenters are notoriously inconsistent. I'm guessing you are starting with too high an original gravity. Basically you aren't adding enough top up water. I would fill until your at 5 gallons, stir really well, then take a reading with your hydrometer. If its reading higher than expected than add more water

rescue brew said:
Not trying to hijack the thread.... Are they all accurate at 60 degrees?

:mug:

I'm not sure really. The tube mine came in said it was calibrated at 60 and i think most that i've seen are the same.

thanks for the replies! all hydro readings have been corrected for temp. i'm gonna bottle this one and be done with it!

related question(s): do extract recipes tend to finish higher than equivalent all grain recipes? if so, is that because extract has unfermentable sugars already inside?

@wailingguitar, i agree. i recently bottled an ipa (OG 1.063) at 1.021 FG (estimated FG was 1.012) and i think i like it better with the remaining sugar.

All grain recipes can finish higher or lower than a comparable extract because you can control the amount of unfermentables by varying the mash temperature as well as adding unfermentable malts like Crystal. I just had an Irish red finish at 1.006 because I mashed lower than the recipe was calculated for.

Back