Switched the fermentation vessel, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarquis

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of pale ale last night and I used a bucket with a spigot on it for the fermenter (yeah I know). Pitched the dry yeast as I normally do. This morning I woke up to the spigot leaking, so I gave it a turn and it started leaking even more. I quickly sanitized another bucket and dumped the beer into the new bucket and put the lid and airlock on. Did I mess up the yeast? Should I pitch another pack?

No, you'll be fine. You may have picked up a lot of oxygen in the process of dumping, but it should still ferment.

You may've had the spigot too tight to begin with. I've noticed that if the seal is squeezing out from it's normal sealing area,it's too tight & will leak. Also,if the handle isn't quite in the right spot,some will leak. I no longer have those problems,having learned these 2 things. And all my FV's & bottling buckets have spigots.

I think with the transfer of the beer so soon after the brewing you'll be ok with respect to oxygen in the beer. Mind you, what choice do you have now but to sit back, relax and let it go.

Brent

I definitely didn't tighten the spigot enough; I'm always cautious not to overtighten it. I think I leaned the bucket on the spigot and that's what started it. Oh well.

I figured a little extra oxygen at such an early stage wouldn't hurt anything. I just didn't know if the turbulence would bother the yeast once they started doing their thing.

I just checked on it and the trub is starting to swirl around and the airlock is bubbling. So I'll just let it go.

I definitely didn't tighten the spigot enough; I'm always cautious not to overtighten it. I think I leaned the bucket on the spigot and that's what started it. Oh well.

I figured a little extra oxygen at such an early stage wouldn't hurt anything. I just didn't know if the turbulence would bother the yeast once they started doing their thing.

I just checked on it and the trub is starting to swirl around and the airlock is bubbling. So I'll just let it go.

In fact it will probably HELP things.

Back