You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about this one I found myself doing recently. You know you're a homebrewer when you avoid commercial beer with impossible to removable lablels (Im talking to you stone, my label doesn't look as good stuck over yours).

You know you're a homebrewer when you're secretly just a little bit relieved when you can just chuck one of those obnoxious painted-on or plastic-labelled bottles in the recycling with nothing more than a quick rinse to keep from stinking up the garage, because even though you've already got 18.75 gallons worth of longnecks (and another 19.8 in stubby/odd-shaped 12-ouncers, and 6.36 in bombers), you'd still feel compelled to do the whole triple-rinse oxyclean-soak song-and-dance if it had one of the easily-removable paper labels.

Well, maybe not all homebrewers...

Sorry to bring back the label discussion: I remove the plastic ones with Very Hot water. It softens the glue, mostly coming off clean. Buff immediately with steel scouring pad for any remnants.
You know you're a homebrewer when you read a two page thread on removing labels...

When you keep your fancier special bottles to yourself, using the plain craft bottles to label & send out. I save the old Paulaner with the bearded monks around the shoulder for me, as they don't make that bottle anymore. Kinda cool that I used a bunch of them to bottle my dampfbier in. Quite appropo.

You know your a home brewer when you are 2 miles deep in the woods deer hunting and come across a beer bottle from ages past and you shove it in the game bag of your vest. Because you know that it will clean up and hold beer again! :D

I did stuff like that when I could still hunt. Found ancient pepsi bottles & such too. But you know you're a home brewer when your latest version of a favorite beer is in the fridge for the holiday, calling out to you pleadingly...:mug:

When your wife says she can't stand when you drink so much craft brew but 75% of the beer you drank was your own

When you plan your brewing schedule around a weekend getaway with the wife that is still two months away to another city where you can buy bags of malt from your favorite maltsters. And she encourages it.

When you visit family and they have been saving empty craft beer bottles to repay you for the home brew they drink and know you can never have enough clean bottles!

Quit wondering.

There is such a thing as oyster stouts.

Anything is possible.

648.gif

Abita makes one. It doesn't taste like oysters, exactly. They just boil oysters in the wort.

I've been contemplating for years a way to use a similar take on this and do a boiled crawfish-esk lager.

Back