Mystery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfat

Reaction score
I brewed a cream ale yesterday with the following grain bill from BMW. 5.5 gal batch.1.043 Target at 75% efficiency.
6 lbs 2-row
2 lbs flaked corn
1/2 lb minute rice

I somehow got an OG of 1.060 into fermenter.
This is impossible with that grain bill. Hydrometer checked out and was on for an IPA made earlier in day.
The only thing that makes sense is that I was sent too much grain.

Can I salvage this somehow? It was only hopped to 21 IBUs. I'm afraid it is going to be really sweet.

The two things that come to mind are, as you suggested, that your grain measurements were off or your volume measurement is off (you have much less than 5.5 gallons of beer/wort).

As for fixing it, I'd let it go as is. What did you mash at and what yeast are you using? Those will have an impact on whether the beer is sweet or not.

Mashed at 152. Volume was dead on 5.5 gal.
I had stopped taking pre boil readings because I was so consistent. Guess ill start that back up.

I didn't weigh the grains, ordered online.
It's possible I got higher efficiency and an extra pound or so of grain got me there.

at 152 and using US-05, I wouldn't worry about your beer being too sweet - it will be different than what you planned, but it will still be good, I would bet :)

Back