Need inside nut for heatstick in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeguy

Reaction score
I can't find what is the correct nut to put on the inside of the kettle going over the heat stick threads. I am putting this in my HLT so would like something non reactive. What are people using and from where? Thanks

Put the actual element in the kettle so the washer 0/ring link is perfect- thanks. Is 14 guage cord enough for a 1500W camco element?

If you're in a hurry or cheap, a 1 inch conduit locknut will fit. 2 for 67 cents at Menard's. If you use the rubber ring that comes with the element on the outside of the pot, and snug down the locknut on the inside, not too tight, I think this will seal.

Note- I think these are galvanized - perhaps not the best long term solution. Galvanized will corrode and leach zinc and any other heavy metals present in an acid environment, and hence is not recommended for food preparation or storage. On the other hand, one locknut isn't going to leach much into solution, and you'd have to drink a lot of beer to kill yourself.

If you're in a hurry or cheap, a 1 inch conduit locknut will fit. 2 for 67 cents at Menard's. If you use the rubber ring that comes with the element on the outside of the pot, and snug down the locknut on the inside, not too tight, I think this will seal.

Note- I think these are galvanized - perhaps not the best long term solution. Galvanized will corrode and leach zinc and any other heavy metals present in an acid environment, and hence is not recommended for food preparation or storage. On the other hand, one locknut isn't going to leach much into solution, and you'd have to drink a lot of beer to kill yourself.

:drunk:

Probably not a good short term solution either.

I'm going with the longterm bargainfittings washer but thanks. Since I am not using tubing (heatstick) but directly putting into an aluminum pot what should I do with the ground. Could I solder it to the outside of the pot? Thanks for all the help so far!

thanks for this post. My weld-less valve had sprung a leak. so i have to figure out a different way to set it up. I ordered fittings from bargain but they wont be in until next week. since the world is ending tomorrow I really need to brew on sunday just incase the zombies come and i need to lock myself in the house for a while. Haha. I got some conduit locknuts to hole me over until the others come in.
im also going to break down and add camlock fittings to everything as well as a pump and start my recirculating BIAB

Back