how much liquid is in your lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GamePreserve

Reaction score
We've all see the "can I mash it " chart. Has anyone ever come across a source that calculates the volume of liquid inside beer lines at different lengths and IDs?
Sure its a couple ounces, but some people have up to 5-8' of line sitting in their kegerator... id rather limit the brew that isnt conditioning inside my keg when its a week or so between pours.

I have almost a full pint in each line.

I run six lines about 35 feet each. If I go a few days between pours I dump a pint. yeah, sacreligious I know but the one pint sacrifice is worth the set-up.

Silly question. Why would the beer in the line be any less conditioned or carbed if the line is consistantly hooked up to the keg and cold? Maybe I'm missing something.... I dump out a couple of ounces because I have crappy lines that bleed a plastic taste if the beer spends any time in them not because of conditioning issues.

I cant give you a scientific reason for it but beer that sits in my lines for a couple of days is fairly flat and a bit stale tasting. I agree... If it is under pressure, intuitively you would think it would be fine but its not. I pour off the first pint and it is pretty flat theb pour the second and it is perfect

right. Ideally, i want all my beer homogenously mixed in my keg until i pour it.
about a pint for 35 feet? Wow. I'll keep looking for a calculation out there, but thought i'd ask. Thanks

1/6 oz/ft in 3/16" ID beer line, 1/3 oz/ft in 1/4" ID beer line, 3/4 oz/ft in 5/16" ID beer line

Back