Bye Bye BlackBerry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Well.. finally moved away from the BlackBerry and got a HTC Hero! Loving these cool apps! haha

What's your favs?

So far I have...

Barcode Scanner
Shazam
Google Sky
Remote for Itunes
Securet LiveStream
Pandora

Saw an article about HTC wanting to market under their own name, like Acer branching out a while back. Haven't tried one, but I'm not interested in smart phones, and my wife is quite happy with her crackberry.

Well.. finally moved away from the BlackBerry and got a HTC Hero! Loving these cool apps! haha

What's your favs?

So far I have...

Barcode Scanner
Shazam
Google Sky
Remote for Itunes
Securet LiveStream
Pandora
:off:, but, I saw in your blog you went to the Riviera Maya for your honey moon. We went there for ours too. What resort did you stay at. Hope to go back some day!

:off:, but, I saw in your blog you went to the Riviera Maya for your honey moon. We went there for ours too. What resort did you stay at. Hope to go back some day!

We stayed at the Aventura Spa Palace and also visited the Playacar Resort one day.

We had the greatest time ever! We are sooo ready to go back haha.. All inclusive is THE way to go IMO.

The vids on the blog and youtube show the resorts if you wanna check 'em out.

Where did you stay?

Saw an article about HTC wanting to market under their own name, like Acer branching out a while back. Haven't tried one, but I'm not interested in smart phones, and my wife is quite happy with her crackberry.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.. Yeah i always wanted an iPhone but AT&T service sux in this area!

I LOVE technology haha

What's your favs?

So far I have...

Barcode Scanner
Shazam
Google Sky
Remote for Itunes
Securet LiveStream
Pandora

I have:

Tip Calculator
Live Hold'em
ChompSMS
Kindle for Android
Advanced Task Killer
AK Notepad
Ringdroid
Dolphin Browser
Dictionary.com
Flashlight
BJCP for Android
DoggCatcher Podcast Player

All of them were free except the last one.

I switched from a blackberry also and don't miss it at all.

i had a ancient POS and made the jump into the 21st century with the HTC incredible.. is that like the hero at all?

thing is friggen cool though.. found some great beer apps.

what is the barcode scanner used for?

My friends both have Droids. I almost upgraded, but I missed the special offer to upgrade early. Now I have to wait until like January before I can upgrade (But by then they may have a newer model!)

I like my Windows Mobile "ok", but it's laggy and the Droid just looks soo much cooler.

go to www.wirefly.com

i got my GF a Droid 2 for 79 bucks and my Incredible for 69. Plus I get 30 bucks off one bill.

I brought the deal to a verizon shop and asked if they could match.

They're response:
"We can't touch that with a 30 foot pole."
My response:
"Goodbye."

I'm lookin for some cool beer apps... found one called Brewzor.. looks pretty cool. Also one from Ghost Chili.. free FTW.

HTC Incredible. Best phone I've ever owned.

Apps:
Kindle for Android
Evernote (great for LHBS shopping lists)
Beer Map
Last.FM
Google Calendar
Facebook

I have:

Tip Calculator
Live Hold'em
ChompSMS
Kindle for Android
Advanced Task Killer
AK Notepad
Ringdroid
Dolphin Browser
Dictionary.com
Flashlight
BJCP for Android
DoggCatcher Podcast Player

All of them were free except the last one.

I switched from a blackberry also and don't miss it at all.

Nice! I'll check those out! I had read somewhere that you didn't need the task killer with the new 2.1 but I dunno?

i had a ancient POS and made the jump into the 21st century with the HTC incredible.. is that like the hero at all?

thing is friggen cool though.. found some great beer apps.

what is the barcode scanner used for?

Yeah my local carrier didn't off anything but the Hero, but it's cool.. just wish it had a flash for the camera!!!!

Most of the app sites you go to have a QR Code on the screen. If you want that app, you just fire up the scanner, hold it up to the screen and it'll take you to the download! Way cool!

Plus you can use it in stores to scan bar codes and it'll give you prices locally and on Amazon etc...

go to www.wirefly.com

i got my GF a Droid 2 for 79 bucks and my Incredible for 69. Plus I get 30 bucks off one bill.

I brought the deal to a verizon shop and asked if they could match.

They're response:
"We can't touch that with a 30 foot pole."
My response:
"Goodbye."

I'm lookin for some cool beer apps... found one called Brewzor.. looks pretty cool. Also one from Ghost Chili.. free FTW.

Verizon doesn't have towers in my town :( So I couldn't port my number and I've got way too much tied up in my cell phone # to lose it! If it hadn't been for that I would have went with Verizon and gotten an Incredible but had to settle for the only Android based phone Carolina West had... WHICH means in about a week they'll have more choices haha

Welcome to the Android fold...

A couple of apps that I use quite often that haven't already been mentioned are:

Handcent ~ great app for SMS/MMS

Chrome to Phone ~ send URLs, phone numbers, maps, etc from your PC to your phone (only works on 2.2, but there is an app called LinkPush that works similar)

ColorNote ~ stickie note app that I use for shopping lists all the time

Advanced Bubble Level ~ lots of level apps out there, this one is very polished.

For some good time killing games, try Angry birds and Robo Defense. I have killed many hours playing those silly games. I have an app called Antennas that shows which antenna I am using. I am one of those types of dorks who wants to know where the antenna is though.

I recently added the barcode scanner along with Remembeer and BeerCloud. BeerCloud allows you to scan the barcode on a beer, and it will look it up and also locate the brewery and info. The barcode doesn't work with most beers but you can still find the beer with a search. remembeer is a personal reviewing system for beer so you can remember what you liked and didn't like about a beer. You can also rate them out of five stars.. pretty cool.

I have a BB Storm2 which I like but I have been seriously thinking of switching to a Droid Incredible. Especially after RIM announced that OS 6 would not be available on the Storm :mad:

One question I have for you Android phone users - is it easy to sinc up with Outlook?

I have a BB Storm2 which I like but I have been seriously thinking of switching to a Droid Incredible. Especially after RIM announced that OS 6 would not be available on the Storm :mad:

One question I have for you Android phone users - is it easy to sinc up with Outlook?

It was very easy for me.. I actually ended up using Google to get my contacts list copied over.. very smooth!

Just got a Samsung Fascinate and like it so far but have no frame of reference to compare (my old phone was a Razor from 2005). These phones for some idiotic reason come with bing and you can't just switch to google but I found a way around it online (basically you install a different launcher and then install enhanced google on it). Bye bye bing.

My thumb hurts.;)

I have the Droid Incredible. Love, love, love it. Although I should have gotten a case for it... I dropped in on a tile floor and shattered the digitizer... Still works though! (And hooray for insurance!)

Apps?
Android Beer Guide
Beer Journal
Hoptopia
HomeBrew Calc
Doodle Jump
Mixzing
Suduko Free
Advanced Task Killer
Craigslist
Facebook
Google Goggles
Google Shopper
Layar
Yelp!
Score Center (ESPN)
The Brewing Network

If you can't tell, I use this phone pretty heavily. :)

What's your favs?

So far I have...

Barcode Scanner
Shazam
Google Sky
Remote for Itunes
Securet LiveStream
Pandora

You do realize you could have had almost all of those apps (well, all of the useful ones) on a Blackberry, right?

If you are thinking of switching, why does in-market upgrade to 6.0 matter? There will be blackberry devices on just about all carriers running OS 6.0 by the time you get around to upgrading, in all likelihood.

People love to compare their 2, 3, or 4 year old blackberries to phones that are just on the shelves. Not sure why.

You do realize you could have had almost all of those apps (well, all of the useful ones) on a Blackberry, right?

yeah.. I was just done with the tiny screen and had the BB for 2 years.. just ready for something new.. I "almost" wish I had a flip out keyboard though.. this touchscreen keyboard is tough to get use to! ha

I'm just pissed at BB right now...I was getting my work email just fine, but the techies did a changeover of some kind, so now I have to, apparently, purchase a $99 license to get my work email. But my colleagues who have droids or Iphones are good to go. What?!

No way I'm paying $99 more to BlackBerry. I'm putting that dough toward a Droid phone...probably the EVO or Epic. BlackBerry can kiss it!

Back