Aromatic Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
I've spotted a recipe that calls for 0.5LBS of "Aromatic Malt", Belgian 25SRM. Is this actually the name of the Malt or just a category?
I can't seem to get my hands on this. Do any of you have an alternate?

Yes it's a malt and there really isn't any substitute. It gives a very malty aroma.

Post the recipe and maybe we can suggest other changes, such as swapping out some 2-row for Munich.

Thanks for asking. Here's his recipe:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: safebrew wb-06
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 23.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.1
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Tasting Notes: the wb-06 has a slightly tart flavor that goes well with the watermelon & dextrine

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 6 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.2 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Wheat LME (4 SRM) Extract 64.7%
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt , Belgium (25 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Honey 11.8%
0.50 oz Perle [8.25 %] (60 min) Hops 19 IBU
0.25 oz Perle [8.25 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Perle [8.25 %] ( 5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 Pkgs German Wheat Yeast (Safebrew wb-06) Yeast-Wheat

2.5 cups of watermelon juice

-steeped all grains @155 deg for 30 min.
-added 1 pound of LME at the start of the boil along with the .50oz perle hops
-added the rest of the LME and honey at 15 min when i also added the .25oz perle hops
-added 2.5 cups of watermelon juice in the secondary

next time i brew this im gonna use a belgin wit yeast.

im planing on entering it into a homebrew contest i will post the results when i get them back.

Differnt yeast options

Whitelabs American Hefeweizen (wlp320)
Wyeast American Wheat (1010)
Last edited by ben the brewman : 12-14-2008 at 06:42 PM.

My LHBS stocks Belgium Aromatic.. It shouldnt be too hard to find.
I really like it, adds a quite a bit of color and aroma.
I suppose in its place you could use some Victory Malt?
Dont know what else would be comparable.

Killer recipe. I don't think that any substitutions are a good idea. German Perle is not similar to American in terms of aroma.

That recipe looks great. The only thing I'd query is the yeast - I've used WB-06 before and was kind of disappointed with it, as it didn't contribute much flavor at all. I believe other people on here have had similar experiences with it. It'll still get you beer, so if it's what you've got then it'll still work. But if you want an aromatic yeast, you might want to consider using a liquid yeast.

Down here in Australia, Aromatic malt is typically substituted by Melanoidin Malt from Weyermann.

Don't sub aromatic. You really shouldn't have trouble finding it. And if your lhbs doesn't carry it for some reason, you can definitely get it online at morebeer, or austinhomebrew.

Did anyone ever try this recipe? Was reading up on aromatic malt and came across this old thread. Recipe appears really tasty! Also, first time i've heard of watermelon juice being used.:mug:

Watermelon juice!? I guess maybe you would have to enjoy watermelon to consider that. But if it's what you like, knock yourself out! :mug:

Watermelon juice!? I guess maybe you would have to enjoy watermelon to consider that. But if it's what you like, knock yourself out! :mug:

My guess is that pretty much no watermelon flavor makes it through fermentation. Might as well add a little corn sugar and water instead.

I have a lb of aromatic malt but haven't tried it yet. It's probably not the best malt for summer beers but maybe I'll sneak some into an APA.

Watermelon juice beers are a recent fad. The only one I've tried is "Hell or Highwater" by 21st Amendment and you can taste the watermelon. While I'm glad I tried it, I don't think I'd buy a six pick. It might be best served very cold after mowing the lawn.

Back