Calculator for 170º sparge water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
OK, I must have had too many homebrews :drunk: when I made my last beer, because I have NO idea where I got my sparge water temps. Now I am getting ready to brew again, and want to figure out what temp I need to get water to, to make it raise grain bed temp to 170º. I KNOW there had to have been some online calculator I used, because we hit our 170º bed temp right on, with a double batch sparge. First half of water was 180-something, second was around 176º I think... someone help me before I totally loose ALL of my mind.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

download Promash and take into account the thermal mass of the tun and you are usually pretty close every time.

NO idea of your recipe or beer style.

Try BeerSmith for free and see what you get. That may help you with the issue.

Brew365 does rock, and that is what I use to figure water volumes and strike temp. They do not have a calculator to figure sparge water temp though. Let's say my grain bed is 153º and I need to get it to 170º - heat up my sparge water to 185ºish?
I just know there was a site that figured this out exactly... but I did not bookmark it. Once again... too many homebrews.

That's a hard one. I use BeerSmith and still can't get the thing to calculate going from Mash Temp to 170 for my sparge. I'd also like to find a good calculator for this. Especially one that also factors in the transfer loss - (i.e. the heat loss moving the water from the kettle to a pitcher to a MLT).

Back