Harpoon's UFO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually didn't like it that much, I think because I've been drinking lots of German hefe's lately. I also may have grabbed an older batch that wasn't that fresh. I've been getting away from American wheats lately, and I've only had a few American hefe's that I really went for.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I actually didn't like it that much, I think because I've been drinking lots of German hefe's lately. I also may have grabbed an older batch that wasn't that fresh. I've been getting away from American wheats lately, and I've only had a few American hefe's that I really went for.

beegee, i've only tried one german hefe. I don't remember the name only that it started with a W and was a dunkel.

do you recommend any german hefes?

Sounds like you tried a Weihenstephan, which comes in kristal, hefe, and dunkel (excuse my spelling). The hefe and dunkel are both good to me...I recently brewed a clone of the hefe. The Schneider, Paulaner, and Franziskaner hefe's are all good, as well. Beyond that, I don't see that many around here.

I also like the Schneider Aventinus which is a Weizenbock (dunkel of dopplebock strength, ~7-8%). I brewed a clone of that last weekend, but it's too early to say how it came out.

As far as an american brewer brewing Hefe, I agree UFO is one of the better made American products on the market.
However!
UFO certainly does not hold a candle to any of the true German Hefe's. They are still by far a superior product. complete with the optional lemon, albeit sometimes it is difficult to find a FRESH one.

One of the better American hefe's I've had was from Atlanta, but I can't remember if it was Sweetwater or Peachtree, or some other micro. Had it at the Brewgrass festival in Asheville. Otherwise, I never see their products around here.

I've had it. It was actually the first wheat beer besides Blue Moon that I'd ever tried. I liked it quite a lot and went on to try more German examples. I think it holds up pretty well to the ones I've tried. But, research has been kind of limited.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Sounds like you tried a Weihenstephan, which comes in kristal, hefe, and dunkel (excuse my spelling). The hefe and dunkel are both good to me...I recently brewed a clone of the hefe. The Schneider, Paulaner, and Franziskaner hefe's are all good, as well. Beyond that, I don't see that many around here.

I also like the Schneider Aventinus which is a Weizenbock (dunkel of dopplebock strength, ~7-8%). I brewed a clone of that last weekend, but it's too early to say how it came out.

Yeah, that sounds like the one I tried. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to pick up one of each this weekend at the lhbs.

Baron von BeeGee said:

Baron,

Do you have a good recipe for the Weihnstephan Hefe. That was what I wanted to do for my next batch.

Brewby said:
Baron,

Do you have a good recipe for the Weihnstephan Hefe. That was what I wanted to do for my next batch.
AG or extract?

Actually, it doesn't matter. Here you go:

5.5g, OG 1054, SRM 3.5, IBU 12.5
5.5# Pilsener malt
5.5# wheat malt
0.5# rice hulls

Mash at 152F

Add 3.7 HBU Hallertau for 60 minutes

Ferment with Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan yeast.

For an extract version replace the grains and rice hulls with 6.6# of wheat dme. If you are not doing a full boil increase the hops by ~18-20%.

Mine has been in the bottle for 2.5weeks, so I'm still evaluating it to see if something needs tweaking.

Back