Hefeweizen - Almost Done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Well, my OG was 1.050, and when I checked yesterday, the gravity was 1.021. It should be done when it's at around 1.018, right? If so, I guess I have a few more days of waiting... :(

Also, it has a significant banana odor, is that due to a warmer ferment (70*)? I like it, but it isn't anything bad, right?

FG would depend, but you should have a general idea based on your recipe. How long has it been in? 1.021 is on the high side and I'd give it a few more days just to see what happens.

Banana odor from hefeweizen, totally normally. Some yeasts are more banana like than others.

The general rule I was told is to calculate 35% of OG is what your FG should be. So, 1.050 was the OG, 35% of that is 0.0175, so 1.018. Is that a decent gauge to use? It's been about 10 days, so I guess a few more days in the primary for the hefe, then off to bottle.

I'm going to do some more DME extracts, then I'm going to take a class at my local homebrew shop on all-grain, *gulp*...

Thanks!

How long has it been in the fermenter? I did an American Hefe last with an OG of 1.048 and a FG of 1.010. Your final gravity seems a bit high. I left mine in the fermenter for just over 2 weeks and in the bottles for 3 weeks and it turned out beautiful.

Back