Racking on oaked bourbon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a barleywine I'm about to keg and I also have some french medium toast oak cubes that have been simmering with some bourbon for a bit for use with another beer. I was thinking about pouring the residual bourbon from the container into the keg and racking on that. Thoughts?

I'd say go for it if it's only a few ounces. <4 ounces. Dump the whole thing in. I'm assuming a 5 gallon batch.

Being that it's such a big beer, you may not notice the bourbon at all. Nice idea, I just kegged a barleywine recently, and am giving this some thought.

The other idea I was thinking, a local brewpub has a stellar barleywine. And after have many, many samples, I think they are blending it with a very good stout. You can clearly taste the barleywine but you can also clearly taste a very good stout. I get the chance, I am going to ask the Brewer. It's one of the best I ever drank.

Back