Pump in a toolbox wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I just bought my first pump and love the idea of mounting it inside a toolbox for safety and convenience. The simplicity of the design in this post really appealed to me (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=282011). So far I've amassed all the parts I think I need (GFCI outlet, double switch, C14 inlet, small power strip). I don't have any fancy stuff in my setup like temp controllers, fans, heaters, etc. Here's my problem, I'm a complete electrical novice. I can follow instructions just fine (see wedding ring for proof) and am pretty mechanically inclined. Electricity just isn't my forte. Can anyone help me with a very simple wiring diagram to get things all set up?

Sure. What are you wanting besides the pump? I see on that link there are two outlets, but I didn't bother reading if they're independently switched or not.

I'd love for one of the switches to control the power strip inside. Since the pump would stay plugged in this would basically be dedicated to it. The other switch can control one of the outlets for what ever I may need to plug in (submersible pump for immersion chiller?) and then one outlet could be left as a constant hot. Does that make sense? Thanks for your help. I'm a wiring dummy!

Here's a really ****ty diagram for you

S2FUkkH.png

Make sure you look at the instructions on your switches and outlets though, screw placement could very well be different.

So your neutral and ground go straight to the outlet and switch. On the switch if there's a power-in jumper leave that on. On the duplex outlet there will be a jumper on both sides. Leave the neutral side on, take the hot side off. The top switch here will be switching the top outlet off/on, the bottom switch will turn the pump/strip off and on. Bottom side of the duplex is always on, as it's getting its hot wire pre-switch. You can use either a wire nut for it or just put another ring terminal on that power-in port on the switch if there's room.

Make sure you use proper rated wire for everything. I'm assuming this is all 15amp stuff so 14ga works. And also that your switches are rated for 15amp.

Edit: The ground wires are all just ran together, not saying to wire them into the outlet strip. Just put them all to a ground lug somewhere or wire nut together.

iijakii Thanks for the diagram and description! Once I get some free time to give it a shot I'll let you know how it all turns out. Your directions seem fairly straightforward. :mug:

Latest posts

Back