razbevarian dunkel weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzbey

Reaction score
I'm brewing a dunkel and I wanna put a couple pounds of raspberrys in it. I really like white labs wlp300 so I'm thinking I won't transfer it so I can get more yeast in my bottles. Is there any reason I shouldn't add the raspberry's to the primary? I'm thinking about ten days or so when its all done fermenting or will my yeast still eat the **** out of my berrys leaving nothing behind

I don't really understand the question, but adding raspberries during primary or secondary the yeast will probably ferment the **** out of it.

Ya I kinda dragged on. My question is if I add raspberrys to the primary after fermentation has stopped will there be any raspberry flavor in the finished beer or will my yeast just eat the **** out of it? Also a good amount of raspberrys would be appreciated

You will get tartness and a little flavor out of the fruit but not a lot of sweetness. You will want to freeze the berries first to burst the cell walls. When I've used raspberries, I mashed them and heated them to 160 F to sterilize...this may or may not be necessary, but I was using home-picked berries and wanted to minimize any wild yeast.

If you want a touch of flavor, 2 or 3 lbs is fine. If you want to really sock it to the beer, 5 or 6 lbs. I assume this is a 5-gal batch.

(2 qts, equal to ~4 lbs, of blueberries in a 3 gallon batch added a very noticeable aroma and tartness to a batch I tried once).

I would probably add them late in the primary, like you suggested, to clean the beer up (lots of seeds in raspberries). The yeast will eat up virtually all the sugar. Are you using a secondary?

Regardless of how you clear it, there will be enough yeast in suspension to prime the beer.

You will get tartness and a little flavor out of the fruit but not a lot of sweetness. You will want to freeze the berries first to burst the cell walls. When I've used raspberries, I mashed them and heated them to 160 F to sterilize...this may or may not be necessary, but I was using home-picked berries and wanted to minimize any wild yeast.

If you want a touch of flavor, 2 or 3 lbs is fine. If you want to really sock it to the beer, 5 or 6 lbs. I assume this is a 5-gal batch.

(2 qts, equal to ~4 lbs, of blueberries in a 3 gallon batch added a very noticeable aroma and tartness to a batch I tried once).

I would probably add them late in the primary, like you suggested, to clean the beer up (lots of seeds in raspberries). The yeast will eat up virtually all the sugar. Are you using a secondary?

Regardless of how you clear it, there will be enough yeast in suspension to prime the beer.

Thanks for the info. How long should I leave the berrys in before I bottle? Is two weeks gonna be long enough

They'll ferment out in under a week.

If you don't do a secondary, maybe let it sit for two or three weeks after you get the berries in. Make sure you cold crash it before bottling day to minimize the amount of berry parts that end up in the bottles. Perhaps a gelatin addition would help as well.

The fruit will probably fade over time so this beer will have more fruit flavor early in its life (like a month after bottling).

Back