Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had never seen or tried shock top until the other day (2 weeks)and must say not a good beer in fact it is still sitting in the fridge. I had the honey something and it tasted like the added the bees wax to the brew.:(

My mother (not beer drinker) upon tasting some Cali Common:
"That's good. If I drank beer, that would be the one."

"So if it's good, why not just drink it?"

"Because I don't drink beer"

Seriously :confused:

I had never seen or tried shock top until the other day (2 weeks)and must say not a good beer in fact it is still sitting in the fridge. I had the honey something and it tasted like the added the bees wax to the brew.:(

I've had that one too, and it really does taste like that, like someone melted a candle in the mash tun. It's one of the most off-putting flavors I've encountered in a beer.

Also it tastes like ass.

Haha my thoughts EXACTLY. That's the biggest clue it is Coors. I love how the whole ad can.paign for it is to add an orange slice. Its a f**cling witbier. It should have orange peel and citrus yeast flavors in it if you knew what a witbier is, Coors. I have a homebrew menu I hand out to people. In my description for my current wit, I beg people to not try adding an orange slice.

Blue moon IMO is the single greatest offender in pretend craft beer. Sam Adams is 2nd. They do have a special line of 22ozers actual craft beer. And you notice that it looks entirely visually different from its regular line. No colonial do of us with a mug

Haha my thoughts EXACTLY. That's the biggest clue it is Coors. I love how the whole ad can.paign for it is to add an orange slice. Its a f**cling witbier. It should have orange peel and citrus yeast flavors in it if you knew what a witbier is, Coors. I have a homebrew menu I hand out to people. In my description for my current wit, I beg people to not try adding an orange slice.

Blue moon IMO is the single greatest offender in pretend craft beer. Sam Adams is 2nd. They do have a special line of 22ozers actual craft beer. And you notice that it looks entirely visually different from its regular line. No colonial do of us with a mug

Funny thing overheard about beer: there's a guy that hands out his homebrew menu to people. From what I gather, it has descriptions of his beers and tells them how to drink it. Hilarious!

Why is Blue Moon such an offender? They made a new kind of beer (for them) at their small brewery, tweaked it in small batches, and it caught on. People liked it. People like adding an orange slice to it. I think we all know it's not really a witbier, so it's fine to add an orange slice to it.

Nothing wrong with liking Blue Moon or Shock Top... UNLESS YOU ****ING CALL YOURSELF A BEER CONNOISSEUR AND CLAIM THEY'RE YOUR FAVORITE BEERS.

Just sayin', y'know? If your favorite beer is Corona, you better not claim to be a beer connoisseur. There are a ton of people out there, though, who think that Blue Moon is a craft beer company. And I'd imagine some people think that Shock Top is too.

I think a lot of fans of those beers would be surprised to learn that they're basically Budweiser (AB) and Coors (CM) responses to craft beer. I don't think either brand has Anheuser-Busch or Coors Miller written on the labels.

I know, they drink something and like it for the taste, without ever realizing that it's made by a company that also makes other beers that they probably like, too. (end sarcasm)

Why would it matter who makes it? If someone likes it, they might like it because of the taste, rather than the fact that it's "craft beer." Who cares who makes it? It only matters if you're drinking it for some kind of street cred.

And let's face it, there are a LOT of craft beers that are not great, and some that are just plain bad. Seriously. So how is drinking that crap better than drinking a beer that tastes better (it's an opinion)?

So the funniest things I hear about beer are usually on this forum, and they usually involve telling someone else why their taste is bad.

A number of years ago I saw Blue Moon in the store. Bought it, liked it. Later saw a witbier kit in NBs' catalog. Bought it, brewed it. Turns out I like NBs witbier better than Blue Moon, but without Blue Moon I may not have tried witbier recipes.
There can be a reason and niche for everything.

all of us that don't like BMC and/or their Lights are nothing more than self absorbed a-holes and snobs.

now that we got that out of the way: about 7 years ago I was brewing a batch while my in-laws were visiting. I was explaining everything I was doing while I was doing it. came time to sanitize my carboy, so I made a solution with iodaphor.
my MIL asks, "Is that the beer?"
me: "No. This is the sanitizing solution."
MIL: "Is it ready to drink?"
me: "No. This is the sanitizing solution."
MIL: "That looks dark. I don't like dark beers."
my in-laws idea of dark beer is "Bud Heavy"

I used to like blue moon. Still don't mind the flavor. After drinking it for a while, I realized I was, or became, wheat intolerant I guess. Any time I try a wheat beer now I get bad heartburn. And shock top is just nasty anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We were doing the St Louis Anheuser tour several months before Shock Top "came out."

It was far and away the best sample we had, though that bar was set fairly low :D

Bud is the king of beers, see it says right there king of beers. He actually held the can to my face and pointed.

You just need to make labels for your own beer and rub it in his face.

What's higher than king: Supreme Overlord? Grand Poobah? Super Extreme Omnipotent Dictator?

I know, they drink something and like it for the taste, without ever realizing that it's made by a company that also makes other beers that they probably like, too. (end sarcasm)

Why would it matter who makes it? If someone likes it, they might like it because of the taste, rather than the fact that it's "craft beer." Who cares who makes it? It only matters if you're drinking it for some kind of street cred.

And let's face it, there are a LOT of craft beers that are not great, and some that are just plain bad. Seriously. So how is drinking that crap better than drinking a beer that tastes better (it's an opinion)?

So the funniest things I hear about beer are usually on this forum, and they usually involve telling someone else why their taste is bad.

If you read my post, you'll notice that I was not criticizing anyone's taste (I even opened my post saying that "there's nothing wrong with liking Blue Moon or Shock Top"). My entire point was about some people's image of those brands as being craft beers and acting "elite" because they drink them, punctuated by someone's story of a girl calling herself a "beer connoisseur" in all seriousness and saying that her favorite beers were Blue Moon and Shock Top. That'd be like saying "I'm a gourmet chef" and when asked what your favorite dish to make is, you saying "Kraft Macaroni and Cheese." That's nothing against Kraft macaroni and cheese. I love Kraft macaroni and cheese. It's about the ridiculousness of your claim and a complete misunderstanding of the meaning of "gourmet chef" (or in this case "beer connoisseur").

And I agree that there are bad craft beers out there. I lived in Japan for close to 10 years and I LOVE all the macrobreweries there. My favorite Japanese beer is Kirin Ichiban-Shibori on draft which has a marketshare in Japan comparable to Coors or Miller. I can't stand Coors or Miller, but I adore Kirin. On the other hand, Japan has a very small craft beer industry (partially due to their very strict liquor-related laws. For example, homebrewing is technically illegal in Japan) and I've had at least 30 different craft beers while I lived there. 95% of them were really bad (or I guess just not my taste) and I would much much rather have one of the delicious Japanese macrobrewery beers by Kirin, Asahi, Sapporo, Yebisu, or Suntory.

I was watching craig tube's weekly homebrew Wednesday video a lil bit ago. He showed my home brewing Kindle Book I'd sent him. But mispronounced the title due to the font I'd used. Kinda funny @ 7:11...

The link to the E-book is in my sig below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big clue Blue Moon is Coors is it's brewed in Golden, CO
It's funny because that was how I caught on to Shock Top too. I was at a friends summer party, grabbed the 'craftiest' looking beer in his cooler and started reading....

Was totaly fooled till I looked to see where it was from - 'Brewed in St. Louis MO.'.... wtf? Wait... really? (That creeping sense of doom as I see the Screw Top...)

Taste...

Sigh.

Well, it's better than the BL sitting next to it in the cooler.

No, there are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It all depends how you look at it. I could argue there are two different types of people in this world:
1) People who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Back